Upload your tunes!

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Upload your tunes!

Post by the plod » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:29 pm

Got a tune you want to share with everyone? Upload it here!

Tunes must be in mp3 format and you must have the legal right to post the tunes. Copyrighted material is strictly forbidden and will be removed if ownership/permission can not be guaranteed.

Up to 3 tunes can be attached to any single post.

To upload an attachment to your post, you should see an Add an Attachment form below the main posting box. When you click the Browse... button the standard Open dialog window for your computer will open. Browse to the file you want to attach, select it and click OK, Open, or doubleclick according to your liking and/or the correct procedure for your computer operating system. If you choose to add a comment in the File Comment field, this comment will be used as a link to the attached file. If you haven't added a comment the filename itself will be used to link to the attachment. If you would like to add a second or third attachment, then click add attachment and repeat, otherwise press submit to upload your file and submit your post. You may have to wait a minute or three for confirmation of upload depending on the file size and your internet connection.

For more detailed instructions click on the FAQ link in the menu at the top of the page and scroll to near the bottom of the page.

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:41 pm

Kirk Lynch playing Valencia Harbor (Amhran na Leabhar), recorded in his workshop on an iPaq, Saturday, April 30, 2005.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:20 pm

He'll probably kill me for posting that. :mrgreen:

sound quality is awful, but hey it was recorded on a PDA.

Jeff

Peter Laban

Post by Peter Laban » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:11 am

It's a great idea doing this. Windows Media Library plug-in or whatever the name crashes Firefox on opening the thread each time though.

Bill
United States of America

Post by Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 am

Thanks Jeff! Nice idea - and the mp3 file played flawlessly for me.
Bill

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:41 am

For the eejits here (namely moi), would it be possible to go through a step by step instruction on how to upload one's mp3's?
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

billh

Post by billh » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:59 am

Please don't do it that way (inline), since it's very difficult to hear them on non-windoze platforms if they are embedded.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:43 am

Peter, BillH, I have turned off the inline player for the time being. You should now see a download link instead.

Jeff

billh

Post by billh » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:06 am

Thanks Jeff; I wonder, to make it convenient for everyone (including the Windoze folks ;-) ), is there a way to expose both? i.e. inline and download link?

Peter Laban

Post by Peter Laban » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:09 am

Thanks, I haven't figured out what the problem was but on opening this thread the whole thing came down, each time again.

An indication on how to upload would be handy or do I guess right it's the file attachment thingie below the posting window?

Have you a specific purpose like posting clips to illustrate what comes up in discussion and link it to the discussion (how to link?). On that note, I'd be reluctant to post historic material to a public forum to be honest or is this a 'listen to the tune I learned this morning/chanter I made last week' sort of thing (which I think has the potential for chaos).

It might be an idea to set some rules/guidelines for posters (for example posting recordings of pipers without their permission, how acceptable is it?) .

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Bill, yes and no but more no than yes -at any rate if it is crashing peoples' browsers than I should probably keep the inline player turned off.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Instructions for posting have been added to the intial post in the thread, for more detailed instructions click on the FAQ link in the menu at the top of this page and scroll to near the bottom of the FAQ.

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:16 pm

Peter,

This is meant to be similar to the Snips& Clips website, where users can upload recordings (usually of themselves) they would like to share. Unlike Snips and Clips though, by putting them in this forum, the user has direct control over the upload process but also opens themselves up to the adulation or criticism of the community. Caveat emptor. I would hope that by posting things here, constructive criticism would follow in the comments (yes I know.............) It may be that we have to more heavily moderate this thread than others, we'll see. I just ask that folks be CONSTRUCTIVE and POLITE. Since this is new, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Posting of tunes is NOT limited to this thread though. Files (audio, video, image, or document) can be added to any post anywhere in these forums. If you would like to illustrate something in another thread (or forum) then just upload it there and don't worry about linking back here. Also all uploaded files will show up in the Download search regardless of where they were uploaded.

If you have files of historical importance that you would like to make available, then I would put them in their own thread and not toss them into the mix here (and besides I can always move posts around from thread to thread and forum to forum if needed).

Do you have something you'd like to post?

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Laban

Post by Peter Laban » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:24 pm

I just asked the 'other' forum has an upload facility which we use to post historic or otherwise interesting clips that come up in discussion. I can also imagine a thread like the ornamenting thread on C&F with links to actual playing. I was in other words more thinking towards a use to support discussion.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:34 pm

Peter, there is nothing stopping anyone from creating such threads as those, Go crazy man. :D

Jeff