An Alternative Set

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

outofthebox8

An Alternative Set

Post by outofthebox8 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 am

Here is an idea for an alternative, slimmed down set.

A chanter.
Two drones - bass and tenor.
Twin baritone regulators.

The regulators would have the usual 4 keys - but one of them (nearest the player's body) is made in such a way that the keys can stay open after they are touched - so that they would continue to sound as optional drones. I've been thinking of how this could be achieved. It seems easy enough to have the keys 'click' into an open position, but ideally they should be able to be closed just as easily with the wrist in play - so allowing for variable drones within one piece. I'm sure there is an elegant way of achieving this in engineering - maybe someone will know how this could be done.

I've decided that it would be best to have two drones and two regulators - that would give me all that I need in a set.

[amended 31 August 2018]

abhappy

Re: An Alternative Set

Post by abhappy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:16 pm

I've actually been working on an idea for a slimmed down set as well and have started experimenting with building a set. So far I only have the bag and bellows, but my next step is the drones. My current idea is: 2 drones and 1 reg. For me the reasons behind the smaller set is that I regularly perform in pubs with a 6-member band, and I'm often having to be super careful with my full set. Like where do I fit? Where can I put my set to take a break? Etc. Anyways, I'm curious to see how it goes, both with this being my first foray into pipe making and to see if I like the using only 2 drones full time.
Life is good.

outofthebox8

Post by outofthebox8 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:55 am

Two drones - the tenor and bass combination can sound very nice below the chanter. Also takes less air and less problematic in balancing the reeds. Another possibility if you don't want a long bass drone - is a tenor D and baritone F# drone combination. You could have this baritone drone also capable of sounding a semitone higher to give you the option of a G drone.

A single baritone regulator is also a good way to go. I'd just like two baritones for that variable drone effect I am hankering after.

abhappy

Post by abhappy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 pm

I've considered having a 3rd drone with a higher note or a bass drone with an extra large bend to make it shorter overall. My first prototype will just have 2 drones. Two regs would definitely be nice. I'm going with one reg just because I'm trying to keep my first prototype as simple as possible. I don't have much time to work in the shop.
Life is good.

outofthebox8

Post by outofthebox8 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:39 am

If you do go for a single regulator, that would allow you to fit oversize keys - say 1.5x the normal size of a teardrop key. I would do that if I was getting twin regulators as there would be room to space them a little wider on the stock. Any design alterations to make life easier would be my motto 8) .

abhappy

Post by abhappy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Wider keys are indeed an aspect of my current design idea. I also came across a wider key design that requires fewer tools to make, so I'm going to experiment with that first. Right now it's about seeing if I can figure everything out, step by step.
Life is good.

outofthebox8

Post by outofthebox8 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 am

I hope you will post some more with photos as you go along with this project. I'm not a pipemaker myself, but I would be interested in seeing how everything works out for you.

abhappy

Post by abhappy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm

If I end up making any serious progress, I'll post photos here. We'll see if I ever find the time to complete a set.
Life is good.