Comments, questions, concerns............

An archive of past issues of the Piper's Review. You must be an active subscriber to The Piper's Review (www.irishpipersclub.org) to access the archive. If your subscription is current, please register at the forum (or update your profile) with your full and correct name, then PM me so that I can check your subscription status and grant you access.

Moderator: the plod

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:00 pm

This is well worth $22! There is information her that I had completely forgotten about. Well done for getting this up and running.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:49 pm

The Pipers Review Archive is now complete back to the first issue in 1979. As new issues become available in print, the prior issue will be added to the archive.

The missing issue from 1981 has also been added and the review summaries document has been corrected and updated.

In addition to The Pipers Review, I have added the complete first volume of 6 issues of The Uilleann Piper, a newsletter started by the Rev. James MacKenzie of North Carolina in 1974. It is believed to be the first newsletter/publication dedicated to the uilleann pipes in the United States.

It is unknown whether there were subsequent volumes or issues of The Uilleann Piper. Should you have knowledge of such, please let me know so that they can be added to this archive.

Have Fun!

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:36 pm

Rock and Roll baby!!! Thanks for your time and hard work bringing these past issues to light and to our access. You are a good man Jeff!!! :D

Thanks again to Wally Charm for offering up the archives for this project!!! For those of you who are not yet memberrs of The Review, I highly recommend you become so. The Review is a great (IMHO greatest) published resource for all things Uilleann. $18 for a year long membership ( $19 in Canada, $22 international), is one hell of a good deal!

You can get club info and registration info here:

http://www.irishpipersclub.org/

Or contact Wally Charm here: charm@seanet.com
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks Joe, one last thing, if anyone has any material - print, audio, picture, video that you believe is of importance to the uilleann piping community and would like to make it available, please let me know as I would be more than willing to host it either within this archive or a new (un)restricted one. :-)

Jeff

djm

Post by djm » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Jeff, maybe I'm missing something but, in the early years' issues, when a tune was transcribed from a piping recording, I am not seeing the name of the transcriber. Any guesses? For my own use, I have been poking at converting some of the piping transcriptions into abc. From the abc version, I can then plug it into one of several programs and listen. This conveys more to me than the dots. It would be nice to be able to name the transcriber.

Thx,

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Deej, I posted your question to Wally Charm, here is his reply:

<<Hi Jeff,

Sometimes the person who transcribed the tunes is named. Most of the time the tunes were just copied down from some obscure music book and used to fill in some blank pages. If this person wants to talk about tunes he should get in touch with John Walsh.

All the best,

Wally >>

wallys

Post by wallys » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:53 am

Great effort! What about putting all the pdf files on a CD to sell to subscribers and make a little extra $ for the club?

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:56 am

wallys wrote:Great effort! What about putting all the pdf files on a CD to sell to subscribers and make a little extra $ for the club?
Something you ought to take up with Wally Charm. I have to wonder if the cost of producing the CDs would be worth the venture.

charm@seanet.com

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16 am

of course the CD would only be as complete as the most recent issue.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:54 pm

the plod wrote:of course the CD would only be as complete as the most recent issue.
Yup.

Although, I really can see it being offered as a box set... The Piper's Review: "The Early Issues." Then another (see the NEXT) box set entitled: "The Second Set." And so on and so forth...

Each CD containing 3 or 4 issues. Food for thought.

Wally? What are your thoughts regarding this idea?

djm

Post by djm » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:28 am

Better to post them right here. You have threads for each year's worth of newsletters. Why not a separate thread for just the abc related to The Pipers' Review?

I would suggest that this be controlled by the moderators, similar to the threads with the newsletters, to ensure that you don't get fifty transcriptions of one tune and none of another.

The tunes could be arranged per newsletter issue, so that the thread could continue to be updated on a going-forward basis.

Just a thought,

djm

djm

Post by djm » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:25 am

Here is an example of the kind of trouble I can get into when not properly supervised by an adult:

X:1
T:The New Demesne
N:aka The Cottage Grove
B:Published in The Pipers' Review Vol. II, Iss 6, 1981
Z:Transcribed from the playing of Liam Walsh
D:From recording Rex #15029B from the late 1940s.
R:Reel
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=200
K: D
{c}A/2F/2 | D2 (3{G}D{F}D{G}D {c}AD (3{G}D{F}D{G}D | Ad (3.dcd eA{c}AF | D2 (3{G}D{F}D{G}D {c}AD (3{G}D{F}D{G}D | (3.B.c.d AF {c}GFEG |!
D2 (3{G}D{F}D{G}D {c}AD (3{G}D{F}D{G}D | Ad (3.dcd eA{c}AF | DEFG A/2 B/2 A/2 G/2 {c}AB | cAGE {A}D/2 {A}D3 z :|!
g | {a}fedc A.ddf | ed (3.B.c.d efge | f.ddc A.ddf | ea{b}ag e.ddg |!
fAdg (3.f.gf df | eAce (3.e.fe ce | dfeg (3.f.ga .gb | afge d2 z :|!
g | fa{b}ag f.ddf | ef{a}gf e.ddg | (3.f.gf {b}ag f.ddf | ecAG ED{A}.Dg |!
(3.f.gf {b}ag f.d.df | (3.f.gf {a}gf e.c.ce | dfeg (3.f.ga gb | afge d2 z |!
g | (3.f.gf {b}ag f.d.df | (3.f.gf {a}gf e.d.de | (3.f.gf {b}ag f.d.df | e.dAG ED{A}D g |!
(3.f.gf {b}ag f.d.df | (3.f.gf {a}gf e.c.ce | dfeg (3.f.ga gb | afge d2 z ||!
g | fAdg fAdf | eAce (3.e.fe ce | (3.f.gf df (3.e.fe .df | ea{b}ag e.ddg |!
(3.f.gf df dfdf | (3.e.fe ce cece | dfeg (3.f.ga gb | afge d2 z2 |!
g |(3.f.gf dg (3.f.gf df | (3.e.fe ce (3.e.fe ce | (3.f.gf dg (3.e.fe dg | ea{b}ag e.ddg |!
(3.f.gf df dfdf | (3.e.fe ce cece | dfeg (3.f.ga gb | afge d2 z2 ||!

This is just a tad too long for Tune-o-Tron to handle correctly when converting to dots. The PDF version it produces is, at least, legible. However, for listening to MIDI or from inside your favourite ABC editor it should do fine. Any mistakes are mine, I'm sure. Any corrections appreciated.

djm

djm

Post by djm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Oh, geez. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :oops:

djm

T:Spatter the Dew
R:Reel
B:Published in The Pipers' Review Vol. I, Iss.2 1980
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=200
K:G
A{c}A{G}ABc z cd | e{g}e{^d}ed ea{b}a{g}a | .e A{c}A{G}A {B}-c3 d | e=fed .eA{c}AG |!
A{c}A{G}ABc z cd | e{g}e{^d}ed ea{b}a{g}a | {c'}abag e{g}e{^d}ef | (3.g.f.e db-c.A .A2 ||!
a{b}a{g}ag ez {g}ef | g{a}g{f}ga .be{a}e{^d}e | a{b}a{g}ag ez {g}ef | (3.g.f.e dB c.A .A2 |!
a{b}a{g}ag ez {g}ef | g{a}g{f}ga .be{a}e{^d}e | fdef (3.g.f.e dc | BcB.A .GE {A}{E}{^D}E z||

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:42 pm

djm wrote:Here is an example of the kind of trouble I can get into when not properly supervised by an adult:

T:The New Demesne

This is just a tad too long for Tune-o-Tron to handle correctly when converting to dots. The PDF version it produces is, at least, legible. However, for listening to MIDI or from inside your favourite ABC editor it should do fine. Any mistakes are mine, I'm sure. Any corrections appreciated.

djm
There's always this convertamatic, and it works well enough for me.

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

djm

Post by djm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:49 pm

Joe, that is the Tune-o-tron that I referred to above. :)

djm