WANTED: Practice/Starter Set

Sell your pipes, reeds, bellows, whatever, here.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

jibdugaw

WANTED: Practice/Starter Set

Post by jibdugaw » Fri May 06, 2016 12:36 pm

I have spent the last year saving for a practice chanter (little did I know) and searching for instructors and groups locally. Well I have a teacher lined up, and found a support group. And have spent the last 3 months learning some songs on the Irish Whistle. So long to short, its time to make the biggest investment.

What I would like to find:
* D practice/starter set on the functional yet plain side (don't need ivory and silver to play but I need a quality instrument)
* ideally one that can grow with me as I add drones and regulators as I master each phase
* reference to a pipe builder with a good reputation for well voiced instruments with a low lead time (like six weeks ideally) [probably right next to the unicorns right?]
* used set in good/excellent condition that is affordable [yep back to the unicorns]
* after tones of research I was really turned onto the Daye Penny Chanter and his setup. Voice quality and affordability and adaptability seemed ideal for me as a getting started student

I am new to the board, but serious about.

A little about me:
* 50 yo
* wanted to play pipes for decades
* never made it a priority
* figured either now or never and never is not really a desired outcome ;-)

Thanks for listening,

John D
Seattle area

PJ

Re: WANTED: Practice/Starter Set

Post by PJ » Mon May 09, 2016 1:22 pm

It's always a good idea to pick a pipemaker who is not too far away, particularly if you're starting of on the great adventure. Brad Angus (https://www.facebook.com/Brad-Angus-Ang ... 548014503/) is in the Pacific NW.

If you're considering a used instrument, have a look at the following website:

http://uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html
PJ

jibdugaw

Re: WANTED: Practice/Starter Set

Post by jibdugaw » Tue May 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Thank you PJ.

Much appreciated. There is a Daye 1/2 on Uilleann Obsession with the seller from CA. She's asking a fair price. A bit more than I have in the wallet at the present moment, so if anyone has the funds, reach out to her.

Again thank you,

John