Reeding Services.

Sell your pipes, reeds, bellows, whatever, here.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

dropkick

Reeding Services.

Post by dropkick » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:51 pm

I am now taking orders for chanter reeds, and somewhere down the line a good ways, regulator reeds... but the jury is still out on that one.

My chanter reed prices are:

$40.00............ Reed Blank (a complete reed that has not been scraped)

$45.00............ Scraped reed that has not been sanded or otherwise tuned to any chanter.

$50.00............ Finished reed... however, this will require you to send me the chanter in question (with return postage/insurance funds please). I will also want to know what kind of climate you will most likely be playing the reed in (for at least 60% of the time). And for purposes of setting up the reed, I would like to know at what pressure you want your reed to play its 'best' in... i.e. Hard, Medium or Light.

***at this time I am uninclined to repair reeds by another reed maker. I will repair reeds that I have made providing they have not been permanently altered by their owner.***

$0.00............ Consultation about anything in particular, perhaps even reeds.

I prefer to make stationary wire bridles for my chanter reeds, but if you want the standard copper 'sliding' bridle, I could build your reed that way too.

***I now have Uilleann Drone reed cane available for those interested in making their own cane reed. All sizes, especially tenor. It is a limited supply so first come first serve.

$3.00 ........... per guill.

*****I am also making cane drone reeds. They are $10.00 a piece, or $25 for a set of 3.

Serious orders, replies or questions can be made to me via PM here or at Chiff & Fipple (Joseph E. Smith is the username there... yeah, like I'd actually use my REAL name... hah!), or at this e-address:

info@flojoereeds.com

Thanks!

-JESmith

http://flojoereeds.com/

Last edited by dropkick on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:41 am, edited 27 times in total.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:12 am

Is that all pitches of chanters ?

krusty

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:05 pm

Yes...

Krusty, what happened to your usual name and avatar?
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:43 am

Dropkick wrote:Yes...

Krusty, what happened to your usual name and avatar?
I don,t know !! do you have to register separetly for this page !
when I entered my username it came up as invalid .

But I don,t mind being just Guest .

krusty

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:39 am

I didn't... perhaps you get ahold of Plod, and see what he thinks. That, or use another browser and see what happens.

PJ

Post by PJ » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:57 am

Just to confirm that I have one of Dropkick's reeds in my Thompson chanter. He copied the original reed made by KT. He didn't have the chanter when he made the reed. I made a slight adjustment (I replaced the wire bridle with a a copper band as I prefer the latter) and the reed plays very nicely.

Thanks for a great reed.
PJ

billh

Post by billh » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:21 am

Dropkick wrote:If some prefer, I can make the reed with the 'sliding' copper bridle... though I perfer not to. My reasoning being that every time the bridle is moved back or forth, a little bit of cane can be scraped away eventually messing with the reeds' tuning.
FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that the sliding bridle (which is necessarily "high", i.e. well above the top of the wrap) tends to dull the response of the reed.

Bill

PJ

Post by PJ » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:57 am

billh wrote:FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that the sliding bridle (which is necessarily "high", i.e. well above the top of the wrap) tends to dull the response of the reed.
That may well be, but with the extremes of temperature and humidity we get in Quebec (from plus 35 C in summer to minus 35 C in winter) I need to be able to adjust the reed frequently. I don't have as much freedom with the wire bridles, but this is probably a discussion for another thread.
PJ

PJ

Post by PJ » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:40 pm

I got a PM asking for a little more info on Dropkick's reed in my chanter and thought it best to reply in the public forum.

In 2001, I sent my Thompson chanter to Joe Kennedy. He sent me 3 very nice reeds. One of them was particularly sweet and stayed in the chanter until early this year when it finally gave out (I know, too much adjustment of the copper bridle ...). At that time, Nick Whitmer fitted one of his reeds to my chanter. Also, my friend Daryl in Montreal gave me a reed that sounded good in my chanter. Since april, I had been alternating between these two reeds (Daryl's and Nick's), both of which sounded very nice.

I sent the broken Kennedy reed along with the original (broken) Thompson reed to Dropkick. He used these as models for a reed he sent me in around June. Being happy with my other two reeds, I didn't give Dropkick's reed much play until the first week in August. I played it for an hour or two each day for a few days and grew to like it more and more. After the first week or so of playing I removed the wire bridle and replaced it with a copper bridle as I'm more used to the latter. Apart from the occasional tightening or loosening of the bridle no other adjustment was made. It's now my favourite reed. I'll try post some sounds of this reed in my chanter so people can judge for themselves.

In short, I'm very happy with Dropkick's reed and will certainly be asking him to make more for me in the future.
PJ

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:27 pm

Thanks PJ, you're a nice, nice man. :mrgreen:

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:47 pm

For anyone interested, here are a few soundfiles of me playing my Thompson chanter with Dropkick's reed:

http://www.acidplanet.com/Components/Do ... 134&T=9622

http://www.acidplanet.com/Components/Do ... 135&T=1196

The quality of the recording is only OK (cheap mic and shareware), and is not helped by my mediocre playing.
PJ

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:35 pm

Thanks Patrick. Y'all will need to turn off your pop-up controls..... sorry, but that is the way this funky site works best.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:56 am

Hi PJ,

Do I need to register to hear your sound files?

Jamie

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:35 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi PJ,

Do I need to register to hear your sound files?

Jamie
Dropkick wrote: Y'all will need to turn off your pop-up controls..... sorry, but that is the way this funky site works best.
Try turning off your pop up controls.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:51 am

That's the ticket! Thanks Dropkick!