Small diameter cane for reed needed - Cane Found, Thanks all

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

daveboling

Small diameter cane for reed needed - Cane Found, Thanks all

Post by daveboling » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm

I need to make a reed for a C chanter in the next couple of weeks and found that all of the tubes I have are too large. Does anyone have a tube or two of smaller diameter (~7/8", 22mm) soft cane that they will part with for a small amount + postage?
PM me if you have something available.

Thanks,

dave boling

Thanks to everyone who made cane available!!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that certain je ne sais quoi. - P. Schickele

TimBenson

Post by TimBenson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 am

I am also in need of smaller cane tubes in the above mentioned diameter (7/8"). Anyone willing to sell any, please PM me.

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Me too.

If anyone has any cane around the 20 -22mm diameter for sale I'd gladly take some.
Please PM me or email me at tompipes(at)tompipes.com

Thanks

Tommy

TimBenson

Post by TimBenson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:31 pm

NPU has some for sale on their site. Anyone have any experience with their stuff?

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Anyone have any experience with their stuff?
I was in Dublin a few weeks ago and I bought a few bundles of cane at NPU but I totally forgot to get some flat chanter reed cane. I got to root through the box of cane and took my pick but it's all good stuff. They get it from Medir in Spain.

The only thing is, unless the person picking the cane out of the box is a reed maker, you'll get a bundle of cane that may be too hard or too soft or too short etc. This can happen at Medir too.

I've nothing against Medir or NPU at all but I would like to find a US based supplier for convenience sake. International shipping is expensive too...

Tommy