Respirator

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:13 am

dirk the piper wrote:The only thing that really defeats the dust collector is the gun drill. At 100PSI, a lot of dust from the gun drill blows right by my best collector port.
I don't remember where I got the idea, but what I do is use a 90-degree elbow at the end of a collector hose, mounted above the lathe ways at center height. This elbow has a small hole in it for the gun drill to enter from the back, coming out the other end of the elbow from the hose. This captures almost all of the chips as they shoot out of the bore, and takes a lot less space than a box would.
Jonathan

KM

Post by KM » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 am

Jonathan_P wrote:I don't remember where I got the idea, but what I do is use a 90-degree elbow at the end of a collector hose, mounted above the lathe ways at center height.

McGee flutes pehaps
Attachments
Gundrill.jpg
McGee flutes
Gundrill.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 3942 times

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:00 am

I've used the Dustmaster quite a bit now and am very happy with it. The only problems are

it makes my neck ache after a while

I don't like having a visor, though I realise I should have something to stop my eyes being gouged out.

I can't blow the dust off anything . . . .

Hard to answer the phone, but it bloody well impresses the postman!

I would recommend it, no headaches since.

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:23 am

KM wrote:McGee flutes pehaps
Exactly. Thanks for reminding me!
Jonathan

billh

Post by billh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:06 am

KM wrote:...

McGee flutes pehaps
I don't want to be critical of Terry, but since we're talking Health and Safety here, I feel compelled to point out that I am not comfortable with the "floating end" i.e. unsupported tail end of the billet in that photo!

I see too many ways that things could go badly with that setup - looks like power feed or at least leadscrew feed on the gun drill (unnecessary in my opinion) coupled with a long unsupported gun drill shank and an unsupported billet... if anything goes out of line, he's likely to end up with high-alloy steel shards being blown and thrown about at high pressure. I use a fixed three-point steady for this - some folks have opined that a roller bearing steady is required but the three point bronze steady plys a little carnauba wax works fine for me, for the hard woods we tend to use.

I don't see the attraction of affixing the gun drill to the carriage of the lathe - with a supported billet end, hand feeding is actually safer IMO, at least at reasonable speeds (<1000 RPM), and you can guide the tool on center well, whereas an alignment failure on the carriage could push the tool off-center (even though the gun drills are basically self-centering and will tend to resist such forces).

Hand feeding also cuts the length of the required lathe bed by half, which helps when making Bflat chanters.

All that said, Terry appears to have retained all his fingers, etc. so I am sure he's been successfully using that setup for some time without serious mishap... it's just not something I'd point to as a model, myself.

I reckon a small inlet collection point could be aimed right at the exit of a billet supported by a steady rest. But at 90 to 110 psi I expect the dust would blow by, as Dirk reports. Anyhow, you have to vacuum sometime, and even with good extraction some sort of filtration seems like a good second line of defense.

best regards,

Bill

billh

Post by billh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:21 am

Sam wrote:I've used the Dustmaster quite a bit now and am very happy with it. The only problems are

it makes my neck ache after a while...

I can't blow the dust off anything . . . .
Maybe you need a longer hose to your helmet? It seem to me the standard one is a bit short, and I think this might be restricting neck movement.

As for blowing dust, I keep a soft brush nearby which does even better than blowing - lots less nasty stuff blowing back around my glasses, into my eyes! If I find a good way to attach it (safely) to my clothing that would make it even more convenient, as it is now I have to reach around for it.

Bill

p.s. - I replied to two messages in this thread, one after the other, I posted a comment immediately above this one regarding gun drill dust collection...

dirk the piper

Post by dirk the piper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 pm

That gun-drill elbow is a beautifully simple idea, and it's certainly worth a try or two before building some kind of box. I'm fairly motivated to get something good to work, since I'm working with mostly cocobolo at the moment. Thanks for the tip.

Any thoughts on the optimal size elbow for a 4" hose with that gun-drill setup? I'm thinking 4" would probably be best, but there's alway the question of whether choking it down to speed the air flow might improve it? Maybe I'll just try a few sizes...

-Dirk
I'm a piper, you're a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper - wouldn't you like to be a piper too?

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:59 am

billh wrote:I feel compelled to point out that I am not comfortable with the "floating end" i.e. unsupported tail end of the billet in that photo!

I see too many ways that things could go badly with that setup - looks like power feed or at least leadscrew feed on the gun drill (unnecessary in my opinion) coupled with a long unsupported gun drill shank and an unsupported billet...
I agree that power feed for the gun drill is unnecessary when drilling wood. I've had excellent results hand-holding the driver end of the drill. On a small lathe like I use (24" between centers) there's no room to mount the bit over the ways anyhow. I considered making a bit-holding fixture for the carriage that extended past the tailstock end of the bed, but after finding that the hand-held method worked so well I abandoned this idea as a waste of effort.

I also use a three-point support for the free end of the billet on my lathe, which has a 3/4" spindle bore, but if the lathe has a big enough spindle bore and chuck, this may be unnecessary too. I have seen Rod Cameron bore flute blanks by simply chucking the piece at the middle of its length, with half of the blank inside the lathe spindle and half over the bed. This looked like perfectly adequate support for the work to me. Perhaps this is what Terry is doing in the photograph, but since we can't see the chuck or headstock I can't tell. It does appear to be a large lathe, judging from the size of the toolholder and width of the ways.

However, most of us don't have equipment that would accommodate the billet inside of the spindle, so your caution about the unsupported end is a valid one.
Jonathan