How to estimate drone reed measures

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Thies

How to estimate drone reed measures

Post by Thies » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:44 am

Hello folks,
I have a set of drones (concert pitch) which are currently without working reeds. As it's not my "normal" every-day-use set I can start playing around ... which is fun. :wink:
Is there any indication from drone length and bore size how the reeds should be measured? This would prevent work from a lot try-and-error tasks to figure out what reed dimensions might do well.
Tickety-boo, Thies
P.S.: It's part of a Ginsberg D-set. So if anyone has something similar lying around, could you please be so kind and measure the drone reeds? Thanks!

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:02 am

I got these measuremnets from Pat Sky:

Drone reed sizes:
tenor 4-5 mm diameter 50-55 mm length
baritone 6 mm diameter 75-90 mm length
bass 7-8 mm diameter 95 +

I hope this helps.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

Thies

Post by Thies » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:20 am

Thanks Joseph ... are the length measurements for the tongue or the whole reed body?

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:22 am

They are for the whole body. Do you have any drones reeds that you can compare with?
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

djm

Post by djm » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:48 pm

Do you still have the original drone reeds? I would suggest starting with these. What matters is the internal diameter (ID) and internal length of these. The length and thickness of the tongue will vary depending on what material you use. Start with the existing reeds and experiment from there.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Thies

Post by Thies » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:18 am

djm wrote:Do you still have the original drone reeds? [...] Start with the existing reeds and experiment from there.
And that's the problem. I don't have them or let's say that I cannot find them (in case they should be somewhere). So maybe I will start with some standard measures and try to find a good working reed by try-and-error.
It was just an idea that the measures of the reeds should be somehow related to the drone measures.
Stay tuned, Thies

mconners

Post by mconners » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:12 pm

I recently replaced my cane drone reeds with a set of artificial drones made from plans found on the "Song of the Sea" web site. I think the total materials cost was under $20 and time was about an hour per reed.

Of the 3, the tenor required the most adjustment to work properly. Now I don't have to adjust and tune them on a regular basis - they just play and sound real nice.

http://www.songsea.com/syndronestopvalveplans.html

Thies

Post by Thies » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:30 pm

I had been also looking at those plans lately, but found it a bit difficult to get through the non-metric measurements. But I think that I will give them a try as soon as there's some more (free) time. Thanks for the link!