Bag is open

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

onkel

Bag is open

Post by onkel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:46 am

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for my issue. I am a complete newbie to pipes and their maintenance. Anyway, my Sky drones arrived yesterday!

Now, the only problem is, the bag is open! It has a bit of a ...ehm... leak... The seller told me about that problem and sent some Barge glue along which apparently doesn't do the job in this case:

ImageImageImage

Anybody have an idea how to fix this? Try another glue? Sew it? Rivets? Get a new bag? :(
Thanks, Claus

Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:27 am

I'm assuming you bought this second hand? Barge is basically a contact cement and as such has a tendency to peel apart with the constant pressure that a pipe bag comes under. The solution I've seen that works well is to use a strip of leather long enough to go all around the seam, and wide enough to fold over the seam. Glue the strip over the seam using contact cement and stitch (or rivet) through all 4 layers to mechanically reinforce the seam. My first inclination however, would be to buy a decent bag from MacHarg. Life's too short for leaky bags.

Kevin

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:47 am

Kevin Popejoy wrote: My first inclination however, would be to buy a decent bag from MacHarg. Life's too short for leaky bags.

Kevin
I couldn't agree more. Here is a place to get an Uilleann bag from L&M..

http://www.tartanthistle.com/Bagpipes_p ... _ross.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see it. It is based on a Seth Gallagher template. I use one of these, and it is 'the bomb'.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:10 am

I'm assuming that the seller is not Pat Sky, right?

you might want to contact Pat himself and see if he has any suggestions for fixing his bags. he's a helpful guy.

Jeff

onkel

Post by onkel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks lads, I guess I'll get a new bag so. I'll try to get the old bag working though all the same.
I bought the drones second hand off Ebay. There's a link pointing to the corresponding CF thread in my initial posting top of this page, if you're interested.

Thanks again
Claus

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:03 pm

Quote from eBay:

2001 set of drones made by Patrick Sky. They consist of ebony wood, brass, and imitation ivory. It has a glue bag which works well. Every reed is in working order and if taken care of they should last for many more years.

The set is in excellent condition and sounds beautiful. I would be willing to play them over the phone for you...

Did this set arrive in its current condition? I'm just curious... that's all.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

onkel

Post by onkel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:56 am

I guess, that open area was glued shortly before the set was sent to me. It was closed as I opened the parcel, but it opened within a minute as I tried to tune the drones. Pfffff!!! Then I tried to glue it, so I had to open it a bit more, wich was no problem at all due to the poor adhesive. I wouldn't call it a "glue bag which works well", but maybe it did work better for its previous owner, you never know...

Claus

djm

Post by djm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:12 pm

Some people swear by vinyl bags. Others swear at them. I was at a Paddy Keenan concert when his vinyl bag blew apart. We, the audience, had to sit for half an hour waiting for him to poll members of the audience for some vise-grips and clamps to hold the bag together till the end of the show.

May I suggest you contact a reputable pipemaker and get a leather bag made by L&M. These do not need to be sealed/treated, and one will last you for years. Another brand of leather bag is McHarg.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes