Missed the mark on my test chanter bore..

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

rgouette
United States of America

Missed the mark on my test chanter bore..

Post by rgouette » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:26 pm

So, this happened..(not too proud to show this, as I'm new to it)

Step drilled out a chanter(from poplar because I'm a beginner), and it looked good as I was turning down the thing...
Then, as I was turning near the top of it, I saw a hole appear, right on the body.. It was worn through.
What you are seeing here is, the chanter, cut in half, around the thinnest area, and laid side by side.
Then the opposite ends: the bell & top

So, is the issue here basically that my drilling was just way out of whack?
It's interesting that I couldn't tell anything was amiss until I saw through the body of it...
Boy, I'm lucky it didn't catch the tool... that would have been interesting..

So,

tcm

Re: Missed the mark on my test chanter bore..

Post by tcm » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:46 am

What is your boring process (pilot hole followed by increasing steps / starting at the wide and gradually diminishing steps or something else) what type of drills are you using? I should stay of that 1" square ebony until you have sorted this out.

rgouette
United States of America

Post by rgouette » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:12 am

the post e-mail notification seems to be broken..
anywhoo, thanks for reply.

My process(newly tried) is a pilot hole with a D bit, for an inch or so, followed by large to small.
Starting with 1/2", into the bore about 2 inches, then around 5 more drill bits down to 3/16"
Oh, important point I should add: my 3/16" isn't a mile long, so I went in from the other end,
to meet the bored hole.
I will state the bits themselves are of a very cheap variety(the kind you can get in a pack of 5 for $20 or so)
Agreed: stay away from 1" stock for now...
Rich

tcm

Post by tcm » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 am

I'd say drilling from both ends is not a good idea. If you have the means to make D bits try something like this Image each one is turned out of one size larger stock so is guided in to start the smaller step , you then need another set made out of the same size stock to complete the step . (Hope that makes sense)
Attachments
drills.jpg
drills.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 373 times

rgouette
United States of America

Post by rgouette » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 pm

wow, great photo, thanks much.
I have one D-bit that I made, but I can tell you the angle of the cutting face is quite a bit
less..
I think I got the original idea of drilling from the opposite end from my Garvin Pipe making book.
Perhaps I'll look into making a few larger diameter bits..
You r advice & assistance is greatly appreciated.

I'm chiefly going down the pipe-making route, for my own enjoyment, and would also like to make a practice set for my
younger daughter eventually.
I actually managed to make a chanter out of poplar, that plays(using my existing reed), and even plays well into the 2nd octave!
I surprised myself..

Cheers,
Rich