Crow note strategies

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

outofthebox8

Crow note strategies

Post by outofthebox8 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 am

When reading reed manuals the crow note of a chanter will often get just a passing mention - something like - 'you should aim for a crow note of G# for a concert pitch chanter'. But I think that the crow note deserves a little more consideration. For instance - the pitch of the crow note can be set to a particular length of staple. A longer staple could be matched to a higher crow note and a shorter staple to a lower crow note - to achieve not just the chanter playing pitch, but also different tonal qualities. Not all concert pitch chanters need sound loud and strident. So perhaps a crow note at A or even low end of Bb tuner reading combined with a longer, narrower staple may produce a chanter tone which might be considered more pleasing and balanced across both octaves.

This is just something I've been thinking about as I have recently returned to reedmaking - and I hope I will be able to make some progress along these lines.