what about this kind of reamer

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

strangeconcept

what about this kind of reamer

Post by strangeconcept » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm

the other day I stumbled upon this. do you think it would be an alternative to metal reamers? if one would use a finer sandpaper strip..

what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZaeaM-zuio

John Mulhern

Re: what about this kind of reamer

Post by John Mulhern » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:41 pm

It wouldn't be very precise. That video is about reaming cork handles on fishing poles, using abrasive paper glued onto a mandrel. It may be that machining cork with conventional HSS tooling has inherent difficulty, like machining soft rubber, due to its softness...hence the sandpaper. Dunno, I've never machined cork.
How were you thinking about accurately building up the taper? It would seem likely that abrasively machining hardwood would be a LOT more difficult than sanding away a little cork.

strangeconcept

Re: what about this kind of reamer

Post by strangeconcept » Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Imagine this. You tep bore the chanter, then you get the fishing rod reamer with a medium grit and get rid of the steps always witha margin for error due to the grit. then you would use a finer girt reamer and you would get a smooth finish. I had in my mind the following: along the lenght of the rod you would make up the desired volume/diameter with some sort of tape, shrink wrap whatever and then you would wrap arround grit paper.

I have to make a drawing or else make one..