C sharp chanter reed info

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

tompipes

C sharp chanter reed info

Post by tompipes » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 am

I'm starting work on a C# prototype chanter and I have no reed info for this pitch of chanters.

I'm sure I can figure it out but I thought I'd ask around to see if there is a recommended staple size and overall length I should be aiming for.

The chanter is a scaled up (longer) version of a Coyne D chanter that appeared in an article in the Sean Reid Society Journal. It has a throat of 4.2mm and a bell of 11.2. There are measurements for the D chanter reeds on the site but I wonder if they would suit the C# or should I adjust the staple diameter. I'll presume to increase the OAL of the reed by 1 or 2mm.

Tommy

MickBauer

Re: C sharp chanter reed info

Post by MickBauer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi, Tommy:

To save Bill Haneman the trouble of quoting himself, here's what he's written about C# reeds on his website:
For C# chanters I use a staple about 48mm in length, rolled from a piece of 0.5mm thick copper which forms a trapezoid 48-50mm long, and 11.3mm/12.3mm at the narrow and wide ends, respectively. This should form an inner diameter of about 3.35 to 3.45mm. The staple is then flattened over about the last 15mm of length. I use a cane slip of about 9.9mm by 110mm, thickness depending on the cane, but 0.9mm to 1.0 mm is a good target. Finished reed length is about 73 mm, with a finished head width of 10.5mm. The staple eye is about 1.3 to 1.4mm at the narrowest point. Sometimes I use a parallel staple formed on a straight mandrel 3.4mm in diameter instead of the tapered staple noted above. For some B chanters I use a slightly larger staple - particularly if you like a light or closed reed - with the same approximate taper but about 3.5mm at the bottom.
I'll only add that the Haneman C# reeds I own have bottle-shaped slips, with somewhat longer "necks" (in proportion to the blades) than I've seen elsewhere. And they work/sound great, even in volatile Minnesota weather. :-) So, he might be the guy to interrogate.

Cheers,
Mick

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks a million Mick!

Can I presume the staple eye measurement is taken from inside the staple?

Tommy

MickBauer

Post by MickBauer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:49 pm

No problem! Yes, I think it's safe to assume he's talking about the "inside height" of the staple eye being 1.3-1.4 mm. If that figure included the thickness of the copper times two, you'd have an awfully teeny eye, no?

I was about to to offer to measure the inner opening of one of my Haneman staples when I get home. Except, I made those myself: all that would tell you is how I interpret Bill's instructions, which I've just spelled out. ;-)

By the way, I hope I get the opportunity to try one of your chanters some time, including the fruits of your present C# project! St. Paul isn't all that far from St. Louis.

Regards,
Mick