Looking for wooden sanding block dia 40 & 41mm diameter

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

FergMaun

Looking for wooden sanding block dia 40 & 41mm diameter

Post by FergMaun » Thu May 29, 2014 10:12 am

I have wooden sanding blocks for D wide bore chanter reeds by Cillian Ó Briain stamped with 82mm and 70mm curvature measurement.

I have another wooden sanding block I got years ago from NPU with no stamp for curvature measurement but diameter is around 43.6 width which I have used for narrow bore chanter reeds.

Have made reeds for my Joe Kennedy applewood narrow bore D chanter but now need 40-41mm diameter wooden sanding block as used by Joe Kennedy and Geoff Wooff

So what is or how do you work out the curvature measurement for a 40 and 41mm diameter sanding block.

Cheers

Ferg

awilde569

Re: Looking for wooden sanding block dia 40 & 41mm diameter

Post by awilde569 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:42 am

Not sure if I'm reading this wrong when you refer to working out the curvature measurement, but generally one would mount a piece a wood between centers on the lathe and with a cutting tool held in place by a tool post you would then turn down the wood into a cylinder of whatever the desired diameter was measured with calipers.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

MickBauer

Post by MickBauer » Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Ferg, are you implying that the curvature on the desired block is other than circular, e.g., elliptical instead? (With major axis = 41 mm and minor axis = 40 mm? Seems like that would be an awfully round ellipse though.)

I'm pretty sure that uilleann sanding blocks are usually circular in cross section, with diameter being the only important metric.

--Mick

FergMaun

Post by FergMaun » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:10 am

I got my wooden sanding block 41mm diameter from Kenneth McNicholl http://www.kmbagpipes.com from Paisley Scotland.

Cheers

Ferg