Diameter of Ezeedrone tenor reed.

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

vanwhel

Diameter of Ezeedrone tenor reed.

Post by vanwhel » Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 am

I just purchased a set of Ezeedrone reeds. They fit and sound beautiful on my bass and baritone drones. Now on my tenor drone the reed fits the tenon reed socket beautiful. Now the diameter of the reed is too big to fit into the hole in the drone stock. They are a 1/2 set of Hulme pipes. Has anyone else run into this problem? I will probably use the cane reed or make my own synthetic tenor drone reed. I'm wee bit chicken to drill since I don't want to devalue the pipes. I just thought it was odd the reed was too large to fit into the stock.

MickBauer

Re: Diameter of Ezeedrone tenor reed.

Post by MickBauer » Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Yes, I've had the same problem. It taught me to never stick anything into any mainstock socket that doesn't have decent clearance all the way 'round.

For reasons we needn't dwell on here ;-) , I ended up wrecking my tenor uilleann EZDrone and used a homebrew brass/cane composite reed instead, which was what I should have done in the first place.

While I'm at it, I'll mention that I never found the bass & baritone EZDrones to be that much more stable than standard cane (guill) reeds, and on the set I use them in (mainly as dry-weather backups nowadays), they have a pretty wimpy volume. But if you're happy with them, go with that! :-) Maybe/hopefully you'll have a better experience than I have.

Good luck with the tenor reed. With a little Googling you can easily find instructions on making your own composite reed.

--Mick

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm

I had the same experience trying to fit the Ezeedrone reeds to my Whitmer D set (stock made in 2005). The Bass and Baritone fit fine but the tenor is too large for the mortice in the mainstock.

I also have a Whitmer C set (stock made in 2011) and curiously the Ezeedrone fits fine into the tenor and into the mainstock.

As for the sound, I prefer cane drone reeds, but the humidity changes so much here that I compromise so that I don't spend half my time retuning the drones.
PJ

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Everything Mick said...

vanwhel

Post by vanwhel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 am

I found that you guys were spot on. Not much volume on the Ezeedrone Synthetic reeds I purchased. I made a very decent set of cane reeds. I had some cane I found I was using for NSPs and so far so good. Very stable even on rainy days. I had a 1/2 set of pipes I purchased long ago from John Pederson. Beautiful looking pipes with C and F nat keys. I lived in Houston Texas, didn't know about moisture and reed adjustment. Because of the heat and humidity and my inability they only played once and I sold them. I now live in Anchorage Alaska and was able to talk Mike Hulme into making a few reeds for me two finished and one partially finished. He also sold me cane the right diameter for making Chanter reeds for his chanter. He set me up wonderfully. For a price but it was money well spent. I still have not made a chanter reed yet. Living in the Anchorage area in Alaska it's nice to take my pipes out of their case and with a little tuning and slight adjustment have them work. I know Dawning of the Day and the Tenpenny Bit. They are played slowly but well with a minimum of squeaks. I have the First two discs from the Na Piobairi Uilleann and the Clark book for tutors. Thanks again for the advice.

Vance

MickBauer

Post by MickBauer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Glad to hear you're on track, Vance! I envy you, starting out with working drones right out of the gate. Some people warn against this, but I think that so long as you don't sacrifice too much precious practice-time futzing with them, drones add so much that you'll want to practice more. :-)

Regards,
Mick