tapers used in a chanter bore

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Philipp

tapers used in a chanter bore

Post by Philipp » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:28 am

Hi folks,

I have recently measured a chanter and I'm now trying to figure out the tapers of the reamers that had been used to make it.

Here's a picture of the measurements I took. I have removed the captions to avoid copyright issues. So I can't give you exact data here, but I hope you can help me with some general advice.

I have drawn some lines to represent the tapers that I assume.
My question is: Do you (those with experience in measuring or making chanters) think that this taper pattern is likely to be true? Can it be that in the upper part of the chanter, three reamers with different diameters, but with the same taper have been used? From looking at the data points, do you think there may be a different taper pattern?

Would be great if I could get some new ideas on that...

Thanks and all the best,
Philipp

John Mulhern

Re: tapers used in a chanter bore

Post by John Mulhern » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 pm

This was an uilleann chanter bore graph, throat-to-bell? If so, your length versus diameter axes aren't proportional, making it difficult to tell what's going on. Is it possible to draw it again in a CAD program keeping all units scaled the same?
Yes, from your graph much of that upper bore shape could very easily be the product of different reamers, but some of your data points are not exactly on the straight lines you drew, so when put into proper scale some of it could just as easily be deliberate tonal bore perturbations...dunno.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks for your input, John!
The chanter bottom is on the left, throat on the right of the X-axis. The Y-axis shows the bore diameter.
Well, I'm pretty sure the scales are proportional, as they are fitted to the data. Of course, the ratio is not 1:1 and the bore diameter on the Y-axis is exaggerated. If it were so, I don't think anyone would be able to see any taper changes.
For the question I'm interested in, I think this is okay. I don't want to know the exact tapers, because I can calculate them from the data I have.
I just want to know: Is it common/likely/possible that from the throat of the chanter, 3 reamers with identical taper, but different diameters have been used?
Is it a common practice among pipemakers to use reamers in form of a truncated cone, so that you get the steps in the bore that you can see between the tapers nearer to the chanter throat (on the right side)?
Would it be desirable to have these steps or would you regard it as faulty workmanship?
Do you think the tapers I assume from looking at the data (the lines I drew) are valid? I mean, it's just my interpretation, that there are three identical tapers with steps in between... and maybe someone with more experience can tell me that this is complete nonsense and e.g. there needs to be a short steeper taper after the first one...

Cheers,
Philipp

Philipp

Post by Philipp » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:09 am

Okay, maybe this helps:
But I won't post any more detailed graphics because of copyright issues.

John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:14 am

Hi Philipp.
...Of course, the ratio is not 1:1 and the bore diameter on the Y-axis is exaggerated. If it were so, I don't think anyone would be able to see any taper changes.
Yup, exactly what I meant! Graphing a bore on an X & Y Cartesian co-ordinate system won't give a true shape representation unless the bore diameters are divided by two. What you see as multiple straight lines & rough edges may not necessarily be so.
I'm curious...what does the bore look like when visually inspected? Is it rough with edges?
I have removed the captions to avoid copyright issues.
I'm guessing that means this is not an historical chanter, and is from a contemporary maker.
Is it common/likely/possible that from the throat of the chanter, 3 reamers with identical taper, but different diameters have been used?
Yes, very possible. You should try to contact Bill Haneman, who is a member of this forum (billh).
Here's a thread he participated in containing info on multiple reamers.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3121&p=14562&hilit=reamer#p14562

http://billhaneman.ie/Reamers.pdf