NPU Coyne B chanter problem

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Re: NPU Coyne B chanter problem

Postby SeamusRua » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Also Bill, what cane tube diameter do you use for these narrow bore reeds?
SeamusRua

Postby billh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:09 am

Sorry for the delayed reply. I generally use something under 23 mm for these narrow reeds. I have used as small as 17 mm (!) but something around 20-21 seems ideal. It depends a bit on the cane stiffness. I would not worry about centerline thickness provided the elevation of the lips is suitable when the reed is complete. This latter will depend on the 'dip' (relates to gouge radius), tail stiffness, and binding geometry.
billh

Postby SeamusRua » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Any tips for knowing how much rounding of the tone hole edges is enough? If you do too much does everything just become too sharp or are there other consequences?
SeamusRua

Postby jpiper » Fri May 27, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,im jay just new here,but i agree with one person in particular. To fix you E problem in both octaves you need to get some sticky tape and cover the 1st note the note that you put your little finger on,and your e's should start to balance..and the next time you make it just make that dirst note on your chanter 1mm smaller.
Ill give you some more help tomorrow just drop me a line here
Cheers
Jay
jpiper

Previous

Return to Reeds and Pipemaking