STITCHED BELLOWS advantages?

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

glasba

STITCHED BELLOWS advantages?

Post by glasba » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 am

Hello,

What are advantages of making STICHED Bellows instead of glued-on or tacked version???

I know it's much more work and the process is more chalenging. They look much nicer to me, more traditional and probably the are easier to repair, if needed. But, is there any practical advantages for playing or something else technicaly?

Thanks a lot, :) AA

PJ

Re: STITCHED BELLOWS advantages?

Post by PJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm

My understanding is that stitched bellows are also glued. The glue provides the seal, but the stitching reinforces the glue.

The stitching obviates the need for tacking the leather to the clappers. With tacked bellows, each time you replace the gusset, you're making new nail-holes which eventually takes its toll on the clappers. When you replace the gusset on stitched bellows, you reuse the same holes in the clappers to hold the stitches.
PJ

Pipewort

Post by Pipewort » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 am

PJ wrote:With tacked bellows, each time you replace the gusset, you're making new nail-holes which eventually takes its toll on the clappers.
Speaking for myself, on the sets with nailed holes where I have replaced gussets, I have drilled out , plugged and glued the old holes. This obviates this problem. Time consuming, but the only way to ensure the new nails go in straight.

Pwrt

djm

Post by djm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:13 am

Stitched bellows are the way it was done in the long ago and looks cool, both matters of great importance to those who want to cling to older methods and those who need to appear cool.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes