Flat chanter - muted first octave

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

PJ

Flat chanter - muted first octave

Post by PJ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm reeding a flat chanter (from a reputable maker) and keep running into a similar problem. I'm on my 3rd reed.

Everything is in tune (as far as pipes can be), but the first octave is somewhat muted (not very loud) and lacks tone. The 2nd octave is fine. Hard and soft bottom D play fine. There are no rushes in the bore or staple and no tape on the tone holes. I've tried opening up the reed. It'll play louder but the tone won't significantly improve and the tuning goes out (bottom octave flatter than top).

Any suggestions on what could improve the tone of the bottom octave?
PJ

FergMaun

Re: Flat chanter - muted first octave

Post by FergMaun » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Who made the chanter and was key is the chanter.

Do you have reed dimensions for this chanter.

Cheers

Ferg

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 am

I'd be thinking along the lines of getting more tension into the blades of the reed to get a stronger, brighter response. Maybe a narrower head reed would be more suited to this chanter, with more of an arc built into the blades of the reed as they are brought together by the binding.

Another thing you might try is placing a little piece of copper foil tape in the throat of the chanter. This might serve to brighten the tone a little as it develops within the chanter.

PJ

Post by PJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm

It's a Gallagher B. I have been using Seth's reed dimentions. Reed head and staple measurements all correspond with what he suggests.

I have played this chanter before with one of Seth's reeds and it sounded great through both octaves, so I'm certain it's something to do with my reeds.

One thing that occurred to me: Seth doesn't mention making a tone chamber in his reeds, so I haven't included one in any of my reeds. Any thoughts on whether this would help?
PJ

billh

Post by billh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 pm

You might try thinner lips - in my experience narrower bores seem to like more compliant reed blades. If I don't scrape my reeds enough, they play - perhaps in tune - but with a poor tone in the first octave. The reeds may need an aperture somewhat bigger than you expect. If the second octave is sharp, I'd suggest either reducing the head width or the staple i.d. rather than closing the reed if tone is weak in the first octave.

All that said, I have not reeded a Gallagher B, I am just making suggestions based on experience with other B designs.

- Bill

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:52 pm

billh wrote:You might try thinner lips - in my experience narrower bores seem to like more compliant reed blades. If I don't scrape my reeds enough, they play - perhaps in tune - but with a poor tone in the first octave. The reeds may need an aperture somewhat bigger than you expect...
Just what the previous owner suggests! Thanks.
PJ