Pipe Measuring Project

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

MHay

Pipe Measuring Project

Post by MHay » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am

I read the announcement on NPU site that Bill Haneman would be launching the Drawings from the Pipemaking Measuring Project.

Bill, can you elaborate on this? (or do we need to wait until the Feb 23)

Mike

billh

Re: Pipe Measuring Project

Post by billh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Mike,

The launch will include more than just drawings, though there will be very nice technical drawings indeed. The project data will include detailed bore measurements - over 700 measurements per set I believe. Provided I get all the tabulation and transcriptions done in time ;-) the launch will include comprehensive data for two sets, a Rowsome concert pitch set (courtesy of Gay McKeon), and a 19th century 'B' set (courtesy of Robbie Hannan). Both sets are reasonably complete and in great working condition, which is not always the way with classic sets.

The information will be available to NPU members via source.pipers.ie, and there will also be full-size printed versions available. The A2-size drawings are in 1:1 scale and suitable for taking external measurements directly from the drawings.

John Butler and I made the bore measurements, and Chris Coe has produced the drawings and took external measurements.

Hopefully this will not be the last of this project by any means, but it's an exciting start.

- Bill
Last edited by billh on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 am

This sounds fantastic and must represent the outcome of a huge amount of work. Looking forward to seeing this very much.
Will the relevant reed dimensions/information be included?

Cheers
Richard

billh

Post by billh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, reed dimensions and relevant information will be provided insofar as it is available. We have dimensions and scans for most if not all of the relevant reeds.

- Bill

MHay

Post by MHay » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks Bill!

That is exciting, especially the B set.

Can never get enough data.

Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 am

Any idea when the drawings will be up on the website? Is that how they will be distributed?

OT: the NPU TV last Friday was excellent- great to hear Ronan on the old set- absolutely invaluable to those of us a distance away.

Cheers
Richard

dirk the piper

Post by dirk the piper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm

This is fantastic news! I expect it will set a new standard in publishing drawings and plans for the instrument. Can't wait to see them!
I'm a piper, you're a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper - wouldn't you like to be a piper too?

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

Just been looking at the very detailed plans now up for viewing on the Source...very impressive. One question though, there doesn't seem to be any 'data sheets' that are referred to in the introduction, which I assume contain all the detailed bore measurements. Am I too early (they've not be uploaded yet?) , or are they stored somewhere else?
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

billh

Post by billh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi D. and all,

Yes, there are a few loose ends to tie up regarding the uploads. Gerry Lyons has been working flat out to get the images digitized, uploaded, and printed over the past week, and he's done a great job on a very tight timetable. One of the things that hasn't happened yet (as far as I know) is uploading the spreadsheets n Excel format and uploading a guide to the measurements, containing printed data tables in PDF format. Those files exist but there may be some hurdles to integrating them seamlessly into Source. You might also note that the flatbed scans of the pipes are currently not viewable in their full resolution (up to 600 dpi for some scans) - they are only viewable in sizes that fit on the screen. I expect that this will require a small tweak from the folks who maintain the server-side framework for source.pipers.ie.

I think the PDF 'booklets' and spreadsheets may be available as early as Monday (IST).

- Bill

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 am

Thanks Bill, I look forward with anticipation to the rest of the details.
BTW, just looking at the flatbed scans of the Rowsome set, there are a number of photos that are incorrectly labelled,eg, Tenor reg is actually a baritone reg, Bass Reg keys is actually the bass reg separator, and so on.

billh

Post by billh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info about the flatbed scans - I'll try to get on to Gerry about fixing those names/labels eventually.

In the meantime, the Excel spreadsheets and PDF Guides to the two sets are now uploaded, added to the end of their respective Galleries. For instance the Hannan B set's data is in a spreadsheet file at this link:

http://source.pipers.ie/Media.aspx?medi ... goryId=923

The PDF Guide, which includes descriptive text, text versions of the data tables, bore plots, and half-size reduced-res versions of the fullsize A2 drawings, is located at:

http://source.pipers.ie/Media.aspx?medi ... goryId=923

The Gallery for the McKeon Rowsome is here:

http://source.pipers.ie/Gallery.aspx?id=922

[Don't forget to log in to Source first :-) ]

I highly recommend the fullsize A2 versions of the drawings to anyone who wants to seriously study these instruments, but the A4 PDF is very convenient in the meantime.

Enjoy!

- Bill

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Bill. Just had a quick look at the data before heading off to work. Very impressive! Well done to you and all involved.

billh

Post by billh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

Someone has contacted me privately to object to my description (above) of the measured sets as 'complete'. I think it's a reasonable objection, as there are repairs and modifications to both sets and in both cases the chanter is suspected not to have originally belonged to the rest of the set. We did avoid the use of the term 'complete' in the Source.pipers.ie documents.

My understanding is that the Rowsome chanter is thought to be of the same vintage as the rest of the set but may not be the original chanter which was supplied in 1938.

The Hannan B regulators differ from the chanter in their decorative features and are on the short side for 'B'[*]. There is no doubt however that they are original Coyne regulators and that the tenor and baritone, at least, are currently working in B (Robbie hasn't played the bass in years). There appear to be some replacement parts in the drones. The good news is that the chanter doesn't appear to have been significantly tampered with.

Especially in the case of 'working' 19th century sets in private hands, this is unfortunately about as 'complete' as can be expected.

- Bill

* they are however the same length as the 'Clancy Coyne' regulators, also currently playing in 'B'

MHay

Post by MHay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 am

A huge thanks to Bill, John, and Chris for putting the time and effort into measuring these historic sets.
For hobbyists like myself, it feels like christmas all over again.

These plans are the most complete information available and even include information about the reeds currently working in the sets, the undercutting on the holes, scalloping of the holes, and high quality photos. You can't get much more complete than that. The folio's for each set are very nice (and important) addition.
(It so nice to see reed seat measurements on a chanter so I don't have to guess where to place the throat!)

Anyway I hope you guys keep the project going with other sets.

Thanks again,
Mike

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am

Great work, guys. Thanks for the excellent documentation, it sets a new standard for dimensional data readily available for uilleann pipes.

Bill, are there any photos of the tools used to measure the instruments, and particularly the bore gages? It looks like you were using a set made for NPU; great idea to use the same standard probes for consistency.
Jonathan