C Natural chanter adjustment

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Pipewort

C Natural chanter adjustment

Post by Pipewort » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 am

This one is to placate The Plod.

Is there a way to adjust a chanter that plays C Natural x 0xx 00xx, to play
conforming to the more usual x 0xx x0xx ?

Pwrt

tompipes

Re: C Natural chanter adjustment

Post by tompipes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Well....... no.

Hans-Joerg

Post by Hans-Joerg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:45 am

In 67.81 :mrgreen: % it might help if you squeezed the tips of the blades (the tips only! - they are thin and nothing bad can happen) You squeeze them by thumb and index-finger and (carefully!) use the other hand for aid. That way you bring the fibres of the blades even closer together. If you suck the reed (by "puffing" - not by lung) it should close "tick" and if you then keep on sucking: The more airtight it closes, the better the reed. What you do speaking in terms of Physics: You optimize Bernoulli´s effect (faster streaming air creates lower pressure and sucks the blades together). Well - try it anyway.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 am

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that to change the tone from the first fingering to the second would require making the reed play a little sharper. You could experiment with opening the eye of the staple just a little more - but of course you would be sharpening more notes than just your C natural. I actually like the more open fingering for C natural. On my chanter I play it x 0xx x00x.