NPU Pipemaking Videos

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

MHay

NPU Pipemaking Videos

Post by MHay » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:16 am

Is it just me or are other people still unable to access the bunch of new pipemaking videos on the source?
Anyone know what the story is and when they might be released?

Pokezden

Re: NPU Pipemaking Videos

Post by Pokezden » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi,
Me too, and all the people, I think
Thanks

Earthjig

Post by Earthjig » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am

Hi,

At first I thought these videos were only available for members, so I registered as a member today, and I can't also access these videos.

I think it's a shame, because it sure would be interesting to have access to these.

Has anyone contacted NPU to know the reason why the videos aren't available?

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 pm

NPU addressed this issue on their own forum if I remember rightly. The videos that can't be accessed are still being processed or something to that effect and will be viewable when they're fully 'done'.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:18 pm

You have to navigate to "The Source" and then login with your email address and password, whether or not you have already logged in to NPU. Then you can view (some) of the videos. Quite a few of Andreas Rogge's are still restricted at the moment.

MHay

Post by MHay » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 am

Looks the pipemaking videos are now viewable!

Great job NPU and a great thanks to the pipemakers that participated. Invaluable material if you want to make pipes.

I've learned I'm even more anal retentive than I thought. Well, the devils in the details butt.....

KM

Post by KM » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:00 am

MHay wrote:Looks the pipemaking videos are now viewable!

Just logged in and looked and many were still unavailable !

billh

Post by billh » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 am

A large tranche of the videos has recently been made available - there are now more than 150 viewable by all members (every video has been available to attendees of NPU/PipeCraft pipemaking courses for a year or so). As it says in An Píobaire, the rest will be released "in due course". Surely you haven't viewed all of the featured/released ones already?

PLEASE NOTE that there seems to be a bug in the source website - you may be silently 'logged off' due to a timeout when viewing a video, although there is no onscreen indication that you need to log back in. This can make it appear that all of the 'members only' videos are unavailable, after the first one you view. The workaround, until this has been fixed, is to explicitly log out and then log back in.

Another glitch is that there are, or were, a few duplicate galleries, and sometimes one of the dups is viewable and the other one is not; for instance, the bellows making gallery from Andreas Rogge. The ones listed in the 'featured galleries' section should all be viewable by everyone.

KM, as a past attendee of WCSS/NPU pipemaking workshops, if you aren't able to access all of the videos yet, drop Gerry a line and remind him that you should on on the 'pipemaking students' list.

- Bill

KM

Post by KM » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 am

Ok thanks Bill.
I've tried again and have found lots of vids that now I can view,
I initially just tried the recently added A. Rogge vids on the main page rather than digging down to the others on the right.
Problem sorted cheers.

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 am

Does anyone have the same trouble as I do with the pipemaking videos taking an awful long time to load. It takes me almost 5 minutes to watch 20 seconds worth of video what with the constant stalling every 5 or so seconds? Only seems to be on the pipemaking videos. All the live performances and music videos etc play just fine.

KM

Post by KM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 am

ausdag wrote:Does anyone have the same trouble as I do with the pipemaking videos taking an awful long time to load. .
No it plays immediately and without stopping here.

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Same here, takes ages to load each video. With firefox and google chrome too...

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:28 am

Sure would be nice to find a solution. I mean, I don't mind living the slow, simple life and all, but it gets to a point where...ee by gum!!

awilde569

Post by awilde569 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 am

Could try clearing your temporary internet files/cache along with a fresh login and see if that helps any. If those get too full then odd things can happen with trying to log in to web services or view web pages that have been updated since the last time you cleared the files/cache.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah tried all that previously. It's been a long-term issue for me since they started posting the pipemaking vids. And it only seems to be the pipemaking and reedmaking ones. All the other videos on the site work just fine.