A good metal lathe...

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Postby the plod » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:25 am

hey dirk, I'm looking at your avatar and wondering what the hell key is that chanter gonna be in?

Jeff

:D
the plod
Site Admin

Postby dirk the piper » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Low D 18.
:-)

Actually, it's just a normal D chanter, but the guy turning it is a lot smaller than you think...

-Dirk
I'm a piper, you're a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper - wouldn't you like to be a piper too?
dirk the piper

Re: A good metal lathe...

Postby daddycute » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:12 am

Hello everyone and mods. I decided to join the forum because like the topic starter, I'm currently looking for good metal lathe to buy.
I need one for my home projects. If anyone would be so kind to take a look at which metal lathes in this review would be a good buy please do leave a reply here.
Thank you guys.
The review :
Good Metal Lathes
daddycute

Re: A good metal lathe...

Postby John Mulhern » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 pm

That kinda depends on what you're making. Pipes? You should do fine with just a wood lathe. It'd be a lot cheaper, too. I don't know where you're located geographically, but Craigslist is always a good starting point to look for machinery. Lathes are intended to be durable items, but some of 'em start out a lot less durable (Chinese) than others. Home shop usage shouldn't add a lot of wear, in any case. It's an old debate. New, hopefully tight tolerance Asian machine of uncertain quality or possibly well worn used American, German, or British one.

There are online used machinery guides giving good advice about what to look for, in case you're going to buy a used one. Most wear occurs near the headstock, so moving the carriage up & down the bed should give you a hint if it feels tighter as you approach the tailstock. Try to get a steady rest. Trying to find one later after you've bought a lathe can be expensive. What kind of power supply do you have in your hobby shop? Big, old industrial lathes are almost always 220 volts & 3 phase here in the US. This requires a phase converter. Staying with 120 volt single phase is going to limit your size choice. That small Shop Fox is 120 volt, but that 13 in. swing Grizzly is 220 volt single phase.

Your Jen Reviews list is composed of all Asian lathes. As an old-school machinist, I'd suggest keeping an open mind about searching for a used American or British machine. I have both in my garage shop...a Craftsman/Atlas 6 in. swing lathe & a Clausing Colchester 13 in. Master lathe made in England. I do have a Taiwanese Jet 16 drill/mill that I bought back in 1980, and while it is certainly functional & does everything I ask of it, it does lack the quality of the old stuff.
Like I said earlier...new Asian machine or worn, golden-age American or British machine. It's a coin toss.
John Mulhern

Previous

Return to Reeds and Pipemaking