Drone reed question

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

I_Fel

Drone reed question

Post by I_Fel » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:42 pm

My bass drone went wonky so after reading Messers Sky and Brook's writings, I think I have it working. It wobbles a bit, but if the pressure is right, its nice and steady.
However, I was wonder, if you sucked on a good drone reed for a concert set, what note should it be? I'm thinking that I should be able to have it crow at <insert note here> so I know that the briddle and tongue weight is set about right, and minimize the remove drone, fiddle with the reed, insert, play, repeat as required.

djm

Post by djm » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:10 am

My drone reeds are composites, but they crow at D on my D set. Actually, they don't crow so much as just play, whether they are pushed or pulled. Getting the wobbles out can take a bit of time and experimentation, but a good sized blob of wax or blue tac on the end of the tongue can do wonders to settle a wonky drone reed. From there its just a matter of moving the bridle up and down in small increments until it plays and stays in tune. I use the rubber washers called o-rings for my drone bridles - much tighter and surer than thread.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

billh

Re: Drone reed question

Post by billh » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:35 am

I_Fel wrote:My bass drone went wonky so after reading Messers Sky and Brook's writings, I think I have it working. It wobbles a bit, but if the pressure is right, its nice and steady.
However, I was wonder, if you sucked on a good drone reed for a concert set, what note should it be? I'm thinking that I should be able to have it crow at <insert note here> so I know that the briddle and tongue weight is set about right, and minimize the remove drone, fiddle with the reed, insert, play, repeat as required.
This will depend on your drone design, so it's probably not reasonable to post a general figure. However once you determine the 'crow' pitch that works best in your own set, you might find it a useful guide when making new drone reeds for it.