Brushed Stainless Steel

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

outofthebox

Brushed Stainless Steel

Post by outofthebox » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:00 am

I know that some makers are now making sets using stainless steel, but have any been made in ornamental brushed stainless? I particularly like this finish as I think it would give a rather nice 'antiqued' look to a set, as opposed to the high lustre stainless finish. Of course brushed stainless steel might not be so readily available as the regular kind.

KM

Re: Brushed Stainless Steel

Post by KM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 am

If you sand any shiny thing it becomes brushed

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:38 am

Brushed stainless steel is produced in a variety of finishes, maintaining a smooth surface - and the finish determines the colour tone of the metal as well as the degree of how much light it will reflect. So rather than just a mirror 'silver' finish, it would be possible to have stainless steel tubing that is darker and more opaque in appearance. For instance, my stainless steel egg cup has a very nice brushed finish which makes it appear almost slate grey. For the pipes I wouldn't want it quite so dark. But a nice fine grainy lined finish would work well I think.

I couldn't find any good pictures to illustrate exactly the finish I would like, but here is an example of ornamental brushed stainless steel. Now imagine tubing and keys of that type fitted to a black wood (or ebonite) set of pipes... 8)

http://www.gardens2you.co.uk/img/p/267-603-large.jpg

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:42 am

I'd like a set of pipes like there saxophones and clarinets
Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

awilde569

Post by awilde569 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 am

But there's no neon pink :?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:42 am

It's interesting to know that stainless steel tubing is also produced in a variety of colours. So an amateur pipemaker could even make a set of multi-coloured pipes. I like the idea of gold coloured stainless steel - like brass, but keeping it's shine without the need for cleaning 8)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/34094 ... image.html

bobble991

Post by bobble991 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:20 am

If you want to go down that path. why not use clear perspex tube so you can see the reeds working?

Bob