Sharp Back D

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

hpinson

Sharp Back D

Post by hpinson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:02 am

I understand the remedy for a sharp back D where other notes are in tune, but not the cause.

Can anyone explain?

outofthebox

Re: Sharp Back D

Post by outofthebox » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 am

Is it a chanter issue or a reed issue? If a reed issue I'd be thinking along the lines of the reverse of weak back D. Instead of weak pressure sensitivity at the bottom of the blades, the blades may be just too stiff here if back D is playing very sharp and some refinement may be needed to take some of the tension out of it, thus flattening back D - but don't go too far. I reckon that it is a good thing to have a pressure resistant reed and back D a little on the sharp side.

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:23 am

I'm confident it is a reed issue, i.e. the chanter has seen its share of reeds that are spot on for back d. You describe it well... pressure resistant back D a little on the sharp side, and I seem to produce more reeds with this condition than not. So if i'm understanding, tension or excessive thickness at or near the bottom of the V or U can affect this. I know that if I take too much off the bottom of the scrape, overall pitch will lower, but I'll try just a little and see if that has an effect.

Anyone else have a take on describing the cause of this condition?

awilde569

Post by awilde569 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:40 am

Occasionally with some of the reeds I've made they're just overly sensitive on the bag pressure for back d, where too much leaves them playing flat or cutting off (current one I have is this way). Letting up a tiny bit pops it back up (although too little pressure and it winds up gargling). Not sure if it's any help or not.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

Torrin Riáin

Post by Torrin Riáin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Better to have a sharp back D relative to the rest of the chanter than to have a flat back D.

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 pm

It is a reed issue. The thumb hole can be waxed or taped into tune.

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Ted, do you have any insight into cause of this condition? I do understand the solution. It seems to crop up in my reeds more than not.

boyd

Post by boyd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 am

I remember Andreas Rogge once said that for this sort of thing, a "young" reed would often be a bit sharp on back D and he liked to leave it (with taping or waxover part of the back D hole) as often with time it would settle down.
So maybe time and a bit of playing before taking any irreversible action on the reed?

Of course, if it is WAY sharp and can't be flattened into tune.......