Robert Reid pipes

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

piperwannabe

Robert Reid pipes

Post by piperwannabe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey all.

There's an interesting museum exhibit, I believe of the National Museums of Scotland, of a set of union pipes made by Robert Reid. I've provided a link here http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... -579-667-C.

I've heard before that every now and then a museum will have craftsmen make drawings of musical instruments in collections. So, I was wondering if anyone knows if drawings have been made of this set, or if there's a way I can contact the national museums regarding this instrument.

Mr Hulot

Re: Robert Reid pipes

Post by Mr Hulot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 am

This set was restored by a pipemaker to full playing order and was no doubt measured in detail.

It is basically a 3/4 set with an extra set of drones

It came with a handwritten book of tunes that is on Ross Andersons website

Mr H

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I was very lucky to get my hands on a set of reid regs for a few days .The workmanship is outstanding.

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 pm

What is going on with the pins in those blocks on the regs, i.e. the little white stripe of material above each pin on each block?

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:59 pm

I have seen those marks before. They look purely decorative. The white looks like residue from a polishing compound which was left over from a cleaning.

Hans- Joerg

Post by Hans- Joerg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:05 am

Are you sure that the regs are by Robert Reid and not by James Reid (who supposingly was his son)? Robert´s key-blocks seemed to have looked a bit different :?:

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 am

The lines seem to correspond to the positions of the axle pins. They would have been cut in the turning process, and therefore would be perfectly square to the axis of the pipe. My guess is that the lines may have been of some help in aligning whatever appliance Mr Reid used to drill the holes for the axle pins.

Here’s one we know to be by the senior Reid, showing the same feature.

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 am

Hans- Joerg wrote:Are you sure that the regs are by Robert Reid and not by James Reid (who supposingly was his son)? Robert´s key-blocks seemed to have looked a bit different :?:
The regs are stamped " R Reid "

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

KM

Post by KM » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 am

DMQuinn wrote: My guess is that the lines may have been of some help in aligning whatever appliance Mr Reid used to drill the holes for the axle pins.
If he wasn't using some appliance to align, my humble guess is that in order to avoid wander from a thin drill he drilled from both sides, but I really don't know

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 am

Here's a shot in the dark ...

Maybe the lines on the blocks are to help line up the tenor and baritone regulators so the top 3 keys would be perfectly aligned. C-A, B-G, A-F#.
PJ