Tying-on

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

PJ

Tying-on

Post by PJ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 am

I've started using a different technique for tying on reeds. In the past I started a little below the tails and worked my way up, unwrapping and re-wrapping a couple of times to get the sides to close tightly. Occasionally, this left me with sides which were slightly open, mid-way up along the reed-head. The sides would close after scraping. I'd leave the reed for a few days between tying on and scraping.

The new method is to start at the lips and bind downwards towards the tails. I leave it for a day or two, then remove most of the binding and start from the bottom and bind up to the top of the staple. This gives a reed that doesn't leak at all.

Also, using the old method, I would crack the occasional reed (maybe 1 in 10). So far I haven't cracked a single reed using the new method.
PJ

outofthebox

Re: Tying-on

Post by outofthebox » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:08 am

Sounds like this could be useful. Do you soak the tails a little before tying on? I do this and it seems to insure against cracking when the tying pressure is applied. Then I leave the reed to settle and dry out before I start to work on the scrape.

PJ

Re: Tying-on

Post by PJ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:34 am

I wet the tails before tying. I usually leave at least a day before the scrape. In fact, it's often much longer as I tend to work in stages, rolling 4 or 5 staples one day, getting 4 or 5 reeds to the "tied on" stage another day and scraping and voicing a bunch of reeds a different day. Then I have one day ever year when I chuck out all the reeds that didn't work on any of my chanters or regulators :lol: :lol:
PJ