Vacuum Sanding Box

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

KM

Vacuum Sanding Box

Post by KM » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 am

Someone somewhere recently metioned sanding boxes, I can't find the post but nonetheless I decided to have a go at it. I made this one out of scrap wood and can recommend the idea to all sanders out there. Here is a video I made of it in use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9zgvB2bzb4

djm

Re: Vacuum Sanding Box

Post by djm » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:31 am

I don't remember about sanding, but the box for playing in reeds has been talked about, especially for aging a lot of reeds at one time. You might want to enclose the box if you're going to run it for any amount of time. I imagine the noise would get to be a bit much very quickly. Good job!

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 am

I like the way it can also be used to assess the crow of the reed. 8) Is that just a standard household vacuum clean connected to the box?

verdatum

Post by verdatum » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am

djm wrote:I don't remember about sanding, but the box for playing in reeds has been talked about, especially for aging a lot of reeds at one time. You might want to enclose the box if you're going to run it for any amount of time. I imagine the noise would get to be a bit much very quickly. Good job!

djm
The best way to deal with vacuum noise is to just put the shop vac in a separate room and connect it with vacuum hose extensions and a remote switch.

Or, if you do veneering/lamination, you may already have a 2-stage rotary pump. I don't know about all of them, but my Robinair Cooltech pump is nice and quiet.

I am so totally making one of these. Thanks!
Pennywhistle: A dangerous gateway drug.

KM

Post by KM » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

outofthebox wrote: Is that just a standard household vacuum clean connected to the box?
Yes basically it is. It's a vax model so I think it has good filtering.

djm

Post by djm » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:32 am

verdatum wrote:The best way to deal with vacuum noise
Actually, I was referring to the sound of six or ten half-finished reeds all screaming away at the same time for hours on end. :)

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes