Got my D Bass Reg working at last

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

FergMaun

Got my D Bass Reg working at last

Post by FergMaun » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Just to let you all know since I got my D full set back in December 2008 I could not get the Detachable Bass-Regulator working would jump to high octave.

The original reed used 3.2 id staple by 12mm wide reed head.

I got the Bass reg seat changed to fit 5mm by 4mm staple by Andreas Rogge around September/October 2010 time.

I made one or two reeds but still had the reed jumping to high octave. The reed would work nicely when I detached the regulator and blow at the hole.

I got Allan Moller to make me a reed in February 2011. I still got the reed jumping high octave.

Today I figured out what the problem was with the Detachable Bass-Regulator. The Detachable Bass-Regulator was not lining up with hole on the main stock.

Today I made a template from thin clear plastic with hole and put it on main stock. I got the reg and attached it on and with a nice firm fit matching the hole on the main stock. I played the reg and bingo it worked stayed at the lower octave.

All I need to do is tune the Allan Moller reed.

FergMaun

Re: Got my D Bass Reg working at last

Post by FergMaun » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am

The D Bass reg reed from Allan Moller measurments before I changed the binding, bridle and shorten the staple.

Slip length 50mm x 2
Head width 14mm
Head length 31mm
Scrape length 25mm
Staple length 57-58mm
Overall length 88-89mm
Bridle placement 4mm above binding.
Binding length 32mm

The staple now has been shorten by me first OAL was 85.27mm and at present OAL is 83mm. The reed is seating all the way in reed seat just at the binging ends before tail begins.

The reed is still flat playing the notes F#, G, Bb and B slightly sharp on the tuner.

Do I shorten the staple more or trim the reed lips to bring the pitch up to G, A, B and C. The first reed in the Rogge Bass reg was OAL 78mm.

Cheers

Ferg

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 am

If the reed is playing with a good tone, I would prefer to take a little more off the length of the staple to raise the pitch. Try taking off about 1mm first and checking the tuning. Then a little more until the pitch is about right. In my view regulator reeds are better tuned just a little bit on the sharp side relative to the chanter so that when they are played at lower pressure they will come in at a sweeter pitch.

FergMaun

Post by FergMaun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:04 am

Ok will file 1mm of the bottom of staple and check tuning each time. I will properly end up or aim for 79-80mm overall length.

Cheers

Ferg

FergMaun

Post by FergMaun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Update on getting the Allan Moller reed in tune.

Replaced staple with another Allan Moller staple at 52mm length (from old chanter reed)
Filed bottom of staple about 1.06mm leaving 50.94 - 51mm staple length
Trimmed of 1mm of head leaving 30mm head length
Moved bridle up to new placement of 5.5mm above binding.
Overall length is now 80.94 - 81mm

I have it around the correct pitch. Will leave reed alone for a day or 2 before I do the final adjustments.

Cheers

Ferg