Any info on reeding a taylor bore?

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

bobble991

Any info on reeding a taylor bore?

Post by bobble991 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Is there anything I should be aware of when making reeds for a Taylor bore? Its the one on the DMQ cd.

Bob

Mr.Gumby

Re: Any info on reeding a taylor bore?

Post by Mr.Gumby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:56 am

The Taylor brothers' use of the reverse taper staple?
My brain hurts

Hans- Joerg

Post by Hans- Joerg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:01 am

I don´t know either. Can anybody give us info about the reversed staple?
Hans

CormacC

Post by CormacC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 pm

I've had encouraging results using a reverse-tapered staple rolled from a 2" long blank measuring about 18/32" at one end and 17/32" at the other for two different Taylor chanters. Eye height about .060" (internal). Didn't have either chanter long enough to get a reed playing to my satisfaction (response-wise etc. -- my heads are still fairly erratic), but tuning seemed pretty good, both between the octaves and internally. Would like to have another go. Suspect those reeds may have played slightly sharp of modern D -- it's a while back though, and my memory's poor. Given a bit more time, I'd be inclined to have another go using those dimensions and to try using a slightly narrower (at both ends) staple and rushing the bore if it turned out a bit sharp.

My understanding (from what I've heard other more knowledgeable people say) is that Taylor bores vary quite a bit though -- the two I encountered may not be representative. They did seem similar in character though, and to like a similar sort of reed.

bobble991

Post by bobble991 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for that. I have tried various reeds which I had and best results came funnily enough from a flat reed made to geoff Woofes excellent videos at NPU. Ive tried a couple and they play well in tune. However they are what I could only term "reluctant" completely flat and unresponsive. Obviously not the right reed but nice to hear the bore design is ok. Cormac, I will try your suggestions at the weekend as I am working away next couple of days.
What is the benefit/effect of having the large end inside the reed?

Thanks again
Bob

bobble991

Post by bobble991 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:22 pm

I have tried a two inch staple tapering from 17/32 to 16/32 and a 12.3 wide head. To bring the octaves into tune I will have to cut around 6-8mm off the staple. It also plays just a little north of c#. Im going to cut 6mm from the wide end of the staple and try an 11mm head next.

Bob

CormacC

Post by CormacC » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Bob,

Short answer to your question - I don't really know. Have had a few half-baked theories at different times, but forever changing my mind about them.
The impetus behind my own experiments with a reverse taper was an (ongoing) attempt to get an Egan chanter to play (better).
The octave continued to be flat, even with a rolled cylindrical staple that seemed about as big as the reed-seat could take. The logic seems to be that reversing the taper allows you to push the staple volume a bit higher without taking a reamer to your read-seat (which I understand is frowned upon these days). I've also heard it said that restricting the exit diameter of the staple can improve the hard bottom D, though my own results here have been inconclusive -- probably due to the inconsistency of my reed-making.

My own Egan chanter has played reasonably well at different times with straight, normal and reverse-tapered staples (though the standard tapered efforts needed a rush of some sort and had some internal octave tuning issues). Most recently I've been experimenting with cylindrical staples (again - been going in circles for the last four years) with reasonable results. The chanter in question was smashed and put together again, so may be all wrong internally - but reeds made for it behave very similarly in another undamaged Egan chanter I've had my hands on once or twice.

According to Mr Woofe, the Touhey chanter is playing with a reed-head made by himself on an old reverse-tapered staple that came with the set and may be original. You mention wanting to shorten the staple to bring the octaves in -- I gather they're too wide? That sounds a bit drastic. Maybe try another reed (or even re-tie the same head) on a straight staple rolled from a 2" x 17/32" blank, or even reverse tapered from 17/32 to 16/32 first. Typically I'd expect reeds for Egan(/?Taylor?)-derived bores to have a 2" staple and a shorter head than a rowsome-type instrument (my egan reeds tend to end up around the 80mm mark overall, plus or minus). As to the pitch issue -- as far as I remember the Balderose (? an early?) Taylor set plays beautifully, but closer to C# than D.

Good luck, and let us know where you end up,
C

billh

Post by billh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

CormacC wrote:...-- as far as I remember the Balderose (? an early?) Taylor set plays beautifully, but closer to C# than D.
It was right smack in the middle - D minus 50 cents, as I recall.

I believe Emmet's Taylor likes to be at least 30 cents flat of modern D as well (that's not to say it can't be coaxed up someday); I always felt the Cummings Taylor drone bores seemed long for D as well.

It's often said that the "old" concert pitch instruments were pitched sharp of modern D, but the Taylor instruments were made before 1890, after all. The sharp concert chanter thing may have started later, for instance with the Rowsomes.