Relevance of reed socket taper?

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

bobble991

Relevance of reed socket taper?

Post by bobble991 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I have been studying many chanter bores lately and have begun to wonder about the relevance of the reed socket taper. To be honest Ive never given it much thought before, I have a small tapered reamer which I use to taper out the reed seat. In most of the drawings I have looked at the reed seat taper is given in much detail. How important is it to match up the reed seat taper to the drawings?

Bob

billh

Re: Relevance of reed socket taper?

Post by billh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi Bob,

The details of the reed socket are something that, at first glance, may seem of limited importance. However I have come to very much regret not paying full attention to those details on the first few chanters I measured. One reason for this is that the area of the bore just at the staple/throat area is of critical importance, and the reed seat details are an important check on the actual location and size of the throat (whose location can, otherwise, be quite tricky to pin down). Also, the details of the reed seat shape influence the maximum size of staple that can be used, and the depth to which it can be inserted. Besides these logical considerations, there is anecdotal evidence that the exact details of the bottom-of-staple/reed socket shape can affect playing characteristics and tuning (for instance, the relative tuning of the G notes is often something that reportedly changes as the reed staple/reed seat relationship, where there is usually a small "chamber", is altered). Better to be safe and pay attention to the "small" stuff.

best regards,

Bill

bobble991

Re: Relevance of reed socket taper?

Post by bobble991 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks Bill, I was beginning to come to the same conclusion when I finally took the time to notice that most chanter measurements had this included. Ill start making a short reamer for this part of the bore.

Cheers
Bob