F# is too sharp

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

PJ

F# is too sharp

Post by PJ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm

I've made a reed for my narrow bore D chanter which has a nice tone, isn't too hard to play and plays in tune in both octaves except that the 1st octave F# is very sharp. Even covering half of the hole with tape doesn't correct it.

Has anyone run into this particular problem before?
PJ

outofthebox

Re: F# is too sharp

Post by outofthebox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am

Just wondering if you have an F natural key on that chanter that might be causing you some interference at that point of the bore - if the spring is a little loose or the key is misaligned in some way. Otherwise I can't think why the tape wouldn't flatten your F#.

PJ

Re: F# is too sharp

Post by PJ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the reply.

No keys on that chanter, yet.

I'm thinking the problem is staple related. I started out using hobby tubing and then started rolling staples. The rolled conical staple improved certain aspects (mainly by bringing the 2nd octave more into tune with the first). I'm going to try making a few more conical staples but to a smaller template (i.e. thinner).

Anyone interested in starting a Narrow Bore D Owners' Support Group? We could meet every Thursday in the Church basement and discuss how NBD ownership is wrecking our lives ...
PJ