Parafilm M

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

verdatum

Parafilm M

Post by verdatum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Greetings all, first post.

Has anyone here played around with using Parafilm M on chanter reeds? Specifically I'm wondering about using it to seal the edges. I've read that various flexible adhesives may be used to seal the edges if leaks are a problem, and I wondered if Parafilm M could be a more easily reversible alternative.

A quick search showed me that I'm not the first to think of combining Parafilm M and double reeds:
http://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/the ... er=4-6-260

I use the stuff as a flexible masking tape in model airbrushing, so I've already got some on hand. I'll probably try it out once I've figured out where it's hiding in my house. I'd love to hear about any experiences anyone else has had.
Pennywhistle: A dangerous gateway drug.

PJ

Re: Parafilm M

Post by PJ » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Whenever I suspect a leak, I use nail varnish which I borrow from my daughter's make-up kit.
PJ

outofthebox

Re: Parafilm M

Post by outofthebox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 am

I can see that this stuff could be a good way to provide an airtight seal over the tails of the reed and the staple before tying in with binding. I have been using ordinary household transparent sticky tape for this purpose. I prefer it to the plumbers tape I used at first. To seal the sides of the reed above the binding I apply a little touch of paper glue - the glue stick kind - along the seams. Seems to work ok.