Rowsome bores

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

LiamO'Flynn

Rowsome bores

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I recently measured two Rowsome copies by very good makers .One was a Froment chanter, it has a bore length of 337mm the bell is 12.4mm.The other was a Cillian O’Brien chanter ,it has a bore length of 359mm and the bell is 13.7mm. How come two chanters with such big differences are claimed Rowsome copies ? Did Leo make chanters of these different sizes or would you think they have been altered by the makers?

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

billh

Re: Rowsome bores

Post by billh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:53 pm

LiamO'Flynn wrote:I recently measured two Rowsome copies by very good makers .One was a Froment chanter, it has a bore length of 337mm the bell is 12.4mm.The other was a Cillian O’Brien chanter ,it has a bore length of 359mm and the bell is 13.7mm. How come two chanters with such big differences are claimed Rowsome copies ? Did Leo make chanters of these different sizes or would you think they have been altered by the makers?

Liam
The reality is, I suspect, that neither are Rowsome copies.

Cillian does not claim to be making a "copy" of any Rowsome, only that he is inspired by the Rowsome sound and character. I don't know exactly what claims Alain Froment made for his concert pitch chanters, but I am sceptical that they are copies of any particular Rowsome bore either. Alain may indeed have started from a Rowsome tonehole pattern and approximate Rowsome throat size and rough cone angle.

337mm is very short, are you saying that the Froment chanter is only 337 mm end-to-end, or are you somehow referring to the distance from bell to throat? (Throat position can be very difficult to measure accurately, I wouldn't recommend using it for comparisons).

best regards,

Bill