'Gimmicks' for the chanter

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Pastorale

'Gimmicks' for the chanter

Post by Pastorale » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:35 am

Last edited by Pastorale on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ

Re: 'Gimmicks' for the chanter

Post by PJ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Pastorale wrote:I made a simple air shut-off valve for the chanter 2 years ago and gave one to a piper. I didn't get feedback so don't know how useful it was. I used one myself for a while just to try it and it worked fine, but I didn't need it as I have shut-off keys on both my full and half sets. The materials cost about 1 Euro and time to make it is only an hour or so. It can be fitted and removed to probably any chanter in seconds and is hidden from view. This is a thing I devised myself, I didn't do any research so it is possible that something similar already exists. Does anyone know?
There are a number of different designs. Can you post a photo of what you've made?
Pastorale wrote:I made a 'tunable' reed, it works but hasn't been tested properly yet. It is made the same way as any other reed (with one exception) and looks the same. It will only work with tube staples, not rolled or tapered. The head slides up and down on the staple. the idea came to me when a piper friend who plays in sessions said that he had to lift the reed out of the chanter after playing for some time and this had a tendancy to intefere with the tuning of upper octave E. I was aware of this some time ago and had a short piese of brass tube to be dropped into the seat before the staple to fill the gap. Just wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem and if there is a better solution.
Many Rowsome chanters and Rowsome copies play sharp of 440 and making a "telescopic" reed is one way of bringing them down to true concert pitch. Dave Hegarty describes how to do this in his reedmaking manual.

Andreas Rogge applies the same principle to regulators. See here.
PJ

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:08 am

Can you give some more details about your stop valve design? This is the kind of thing that appeals to me - minor innovations that address specific issues.

Pastorale

Post by Pastorale » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 am

Last edited by Pastorale on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:37 am

I'm just not following the mechanics of your tuneable reed. Could you post a picture?