CP: Black wax and hemp

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Ted

CP: Black wax and hemp

Post by Ted » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I am hand making a pine pitch based black shoemaker's wax. Great for reed makers, bag and bellows hand stitchers and for applying to the hemp on the bottom layer of tenon wrapping. I have it in a softer version for easy softening and a harder version. $5.00US for a 1/2 oz. stick.
Also available is a beautiful white bleached linen thread which is about half the weight of 10 lea shoe thread, usually dyed yellow and used on GHB. This works well for the smaller tenons found on UP, SSP and NSP etc. This is in a 25g roll on a cardboard core. Great to carry in your pipe case. Also available on a 25g roll is the same weight in an unbleached or golden bleached a cannabis fiber, real hemp thread. This is particularly good on mouth-blown pipes as it swells much less than linen and resists rotting. It is also great on bellows pipes. I am expecting the same weight thread in golden bleached real hemp for larger joints and GHB tenons. All threads are $5.00US per roll. Shipping and PayPal fees are extra. A single unit (wax or thread) ships in the US for $3.00 first class mail. Two or up to 12 units ships in the US for $5.00 in a flat rate priority mail box. Discounts for quantity orders for pipemakers etc. Unbleached and bleached linen in 10 lea, two-ply reed wrapping linen and other threads are also available. Sealing wax, drone and chanter cane available too. PM or email: bigsurtapes at sbcglobal dot net .