Spread Drones n Regs

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

Hans- Joerg

Spread Drones n Regs

Post by Hans- Joerg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:29 am

In the "classic days" the drones n regs were not parallel but slightly spread (and the mainstocks slightly conical). What is the best way to achieve this?

billh

Re: Spread Drones n Regs

Post by billh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:14 am

If you bore the sockets on a lathe, with the drills/reamers held in the headstock, you can achieve this by allowing a degree or so of splay in the boring cradle. I think this is a considerably more secure way to bore sockets than using a drill press.

djm

Post by djm » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 am

Or you could set up a jig on the table of your drillpress to get the same angle on each drone or reg.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:14 pm

You could start off by intending to drill them straight ,that will ensure that they are at an angle.

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

Hans- Joerg

Post by Hans- Joerg » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 am

Thank you for the hints! I guess it´s horses for courses. If it is the "normal" longish hollow mainstock (~ 6 x 17 cms) I would prefer billh´s "lathe-way" but if is the 18th century "plug" I would prefer djm´s "drillpress-way".
Now, what is a reasonable angle (off parallelity, apart from Murphy´s law) for the spreading - 2 degrees...3 degrees... ?