D Chanter holes locations

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

orendudi

D Chanter holes locations

Post by orendudi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:30 pm

I just bought an half set Uilleann pipes and it seems to me that the holes in the chanter are much far each other (i am a Clarinet player and i compared it to my Clarinet). I have to stretch my fingers very much in order to play the chanter.
Please answer me what should be the distances between the holes in the chanter.

Thanks in advance,
David

djm

Re: D Chanter holes locations

Post by djm » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 am

The chanter's tone holes are spaced as required per the length of the reed and the chanter. I do not play clarinet, but IIRC the clarinet's notes are all keyed, so it does not necessarily give you a realistic representation of the spaces required between its tone holes.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:34 am

The chanter must be played with the middle section of the fingers rather than the finger tips, as is the case with other instruments. It takes quite some time for the fingers to stretch and loosen up and that is something that comes with practicing a little every day. On my D chanter the spaces between the holes are all between 3 and 4cms.

fancypiper

Post by fancypiper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 am

1. You have to relax your wrist and forearm muscles
2. The two upper fingers top hand cover the holes with the 2nd pad of the fingers, the ring finger first pad covers the hole. No fingertips!
3. For the bottom hand, the pinkie covers the bottom hole with the first pad, the other fingers should cover the holes with the second pad.
4. You have to relax your wrist and forearm muscles or you can't feel the holes.
You should feel a "buzz" in the hole when the reed is sounding.
HTH