Drawings of Rowsome pipes

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

piperwannabe

Drawings of Rowsome pipes

Post by piperwannabe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I've started working with a bagpipe maker in my area. He's teaching me how to be a machinist and ultimately a pipemaker. He works with highland pipes, but once we get to that point, he wants me to make a set of uilleann pipes as well.

I have and play a flat set. However, I would also like a concert set and figure that this project I will eventually start with the bagpipe maker is a good way for me to have one. That being said, I want to base those pipes on the best. I've heard that many makers base their concert sets on the instruments made by Leo Rowsome. Are there any sources of drawings or plans?

I once had a set of Ginsberg plans, but was told they weren't good for making an instrument. Is there anyone out there who might have drawings I could purchase?

Mike Hulme

Re: Drawings of Rowsome pipes

Post by Mike Hulme » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 am

Chris Bayley has an excellent set of Rowsome plans for sale. Based on a 1950s set, measured in 1985 and occupying 2 A1 sheets.

piperwannabe

Post by piperwannabe » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks, I will contact him. I think I saw that he had the drones posted on his website.

I will talk to him anyway. Thanks again.

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Theres bore and tone hole measurements on this web page but you would probably need more info to build a chanter

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... 8&start=45

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

PJ

Post by PJ » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 pm

From what little I know, Leo Rowsome didn't stick rigidly to any design. Many pipemakers base their designs of Rowsome chanters, but not necessarily the same chanter. So results may vary.

Pat Sky has drawings of his Rowsome set in the manual he authoried. You can get it by writing to him: here's his contact details:

http://www.patricksky.com/Page-4.htm
PJ

SeamusMcDermott

Post by SeamusMcDermott » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:08 pm

piperwannabe wrote:
I once had a set of Ginsberg plans, but was told they weren't good for making an instrument. Is there anyone out there who might have drawings I could purchase?
I have a background in the metal trades (machinist), and have examined two sets of Ginsberg plans. To tell you the truth, they seemed pretty complete to me. Some plans are not actually full-sized drawings, but copies (made by someone other than the Ginsbergs, perhaps). In the process of copying them, they are often reduced in size just a bit as part of the xerographic process. It might not be enough to notice, but the resulting vibrating column of air will certainly notice, and then it'll be too late. So my advice would be to order the drawings directly from the Ginsbergs and remove that uncertainty.

The biggest problem the novice will face is probably (aside from material acquisition) making the necessary reamers to bore the chanter and regs. A fourteen inch deep hole is a really, really long bore and all kinds of things can happen--and some of them are really unpleasant. A gun drill and step drilling will help get you going. I think the Ginsberg drawings offer some advice in this area.

The other part of the equation is this:
It is going to take a long time to make a set of pipes. If you divide the value of the finished product into the number of hours spent making it, you may find you're working for very, very low wages indeed.
From where I sit, it's far cheaper to save up and buy a set, even if I had the machinery (drill press, milling machine, lathe, sander, hot work equipment,etc) on hand.

Good luck to you if you start off on this road. I suppose there is always room for another pipe-maker on this planet of ours.
When I started playing pipes, I could look out the window and see the neighbors putting "For Sale" signs on their houses. Today, I can look out the window and see the neighbors putting a "For Sale" sign on MY house!

ttoberer

Post by ttoberer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 am

The Ginsberg plans are great for everything but the chanter. I would suggest finding a great playing chanter and learn to reed it, then measure it yourself. This takes alot of homemade tools and patience, but is really one of the most important skills a pipermaker can learn. Once you make a chanter you will need the very same tools to measure it anyway.