cane drone reeds

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

mike spencer

cane drone reeds

Post by mike spencer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 am

I have used various types of synthetic drone reeds before settling on Ezeedrones which I found to be easy to set up and they were trouble free.Then I got curious and decided to purchase a set of cane reeds from Ted Anderson and after a bit of fiddling around with them I actually got them to work and found that their tone was much better than the Ezeedrone tone.(sorry no sound files).Now I have to play them for a while and probably make some minor adjustments.I have tried making cane drone reeds myself but did not have much success but after seeing Ted's reeds I can see the mistakes I made.Very illuminating.Thanks Ted.

hpinson

Re: cane drone reeds

Post by hpinson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 am

Agreed. EZEEDrones are simple to setup and quite stable, but no substitute for cane. Given my extremely variable humidity climate they seem to be a necessity.
Last edited by hpinson on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

reedmaster

Post by reedmaster » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 am

Been playing the Ghp for over 40 years. We didn't have plastic when I started out. Tried plastic reeds about 20 years ago. They don't come close enough to the sound and feel of the real thing for me. Now that I've committed to learning the uilleann pipes that's what I'll be using. Since I learned reed making in Scotland and have been making reeds ever since it won't be a problem for me. I still have those plastic reeds to remind myself why I prefer cane.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 am

I am now using locally sourced river reeds for my three drones. Much narrower than cane drone reeds of course, but great for anyone like me who is aiming for a lower pressure, lower volume set. They are quite brittle so need careful handling, but are good fun to make. I was using reeds I cut on the river bank in May. But I reckon the best time would be in mid-winter. So I'm looking forward to cutting some more around the turn of the year.

reedmaster

Post by reedmaster » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 am

You might find that if you cut some of the stalks off now where its lower and thicker the stalk will put out two small secondary growth stalks. These will have thicker walls by this winter and might make better reeds.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 am

Just a pity those river reeds don't get big enough for double reeds. 8)

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/html ... em248.html

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 am

Ah... reed horticulture. :)

Is there a way to train reeds to have longer stem sections? The reeds I grow that have the right diameter for bass drones, never seem to have enough length in a section. In a winter season, I will only get a few useable secgements.

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 pm

It seems like the tube length between nodes is a genetic trait. I like to harvest drone cane which is of the diameters I need growing right out of the rhizome, rather than using branches from larger tubes. Branches can be good, but is often too short between nodes. I have some bass drone sizes which are 8" between nodes. Are you harvesting branch cane or small tube cane?

Hans- Joerg

Post by Hans- Joerg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 am

Prande99 wrote:Discount Golf Clubs

A Handicap Index is the USGAs service mark used to indicate a measurement of a player's potential ability on a course of standard playing difficulty. You should have best golf clubs. What that means is that the USGA has come and evaluated a particular course to gauge the difficulty. ishiner
My grandmother has false teeth, too.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:35 am

In any plant the factors that decide the length between branches, or in our case nodes, are the sex of the plant in question, and most importantly the differance in tempurature between day and night! If it is quite mild at night and quite warm in the day the plant will be shorter and have less "air" between branches, if the temp. differential is much less and the night is quite warm, then the plant will be taller with more "air" in between the branches, or longer nodes for us! this is an insulation factor that plants use to control their heat loss or retention during the night. Think of California's climate, the days and nights are both "plant freindly", it is the night's low tempurature that decide a plants ability to thrive or to just survive.

Thanks

fiddlerwill

Post by fiddlerwill » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:38 am

Ive been getting some drone reeds from Ted on this forum. Excellent reeds at a very reasonable price . The mail order side of it has worked very well. My second order arrived within a week of being posted! US to Eire! I am happy to use synthetic reeds where and when appropriate but cane still beats all comers as regards tone. Im making a few of my own but the Tenor reeds are still out of my ability so to have Ted offering a valuable service is a real Bonus. Thanks Very much Ted if you read this.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:58 am

The spam post has thrown up this old thread - but it reminded me that this is a great time of year to get down to the riverbank and cut some river reeds for drones. By now the ones growing on the bank will have hardened off and dried out. Just cut at the base with sharp garden pruners. I have found that the usable woody sections are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th segments above ground. You will need to select them by diameter so that they will slide into the reed seats, allowing a little space for binding - so it's useful to take something along to reference the thickness of the reeds to cut. Back home it's a case of working on a method with a sharp knife, a light touch and a lot of patience 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites_australis

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:36 pm

I prefer to cut drone cane when the sap is up, like mid-summer. I cut the cane green and sun dry the stalks until the leaves, which I leave on at this point, turn yellow. I then strip the leaves and sun the stalks until the green is gone. I then bundle up the stalks and put them in the rafters. They seem pretty useable about a year after cutting. I cut the cured stalks into individual sections, toss any bent, unuseable ones and sort them by diameters.