Intensive pipemaking training offered by NPU starting soon

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

billh

Intensive pipemaking training offered by NPU starting soon

Post by billh » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:37 am

Hi folks,

I'd like to draw your attention to an announcement recently posted on the NPU web site, and which will appear in the upcoming edition of An Piobaire. Na Píobairí Uilleann expect to offer hands-on, intensive pipemaking training in Dublin starting this autumn.

Further discussion, questions, etc. please see The Snug - I'd prefer not to duplicate the discussion and answers to queries here. Several folks involved in the program will be checking the NPU "Snug" forum to make any clarifications and corrections, and to keep folks informed.

best regards,

Bill

p.s. - While I'm thinking of it, there may be a place still available in the daytime Pipemaking Workshops/Lecture series at this years' WCSS. David Quinn is returning to follow up on his very well-received appearance last year, with mostly new material, and I'll be joining him as co-coordinator. Check with Gerry Lyons at NPU.

outofthebox

Re: Intensive pipemaking training offered by NPU starting soon

Post by outofthebox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:32 am

This sounds like a very worthwhile project indeed - the basis perhaps for a 'centre of excellence' for pipemaking techniques. I hope that as many pipemakers as possible will get behind it. I've been wondering about how Davy Stephenson has been progressing with his own pipemaking classes - I'm sure that this NPU initiative will be of interest to him too.

billh

Post by billh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Just received from NPU, to post here:

"We are pleased to advise that we have recently taken a lease on a premises located at unit 44, Block 3, Port Tunnel Business Park, Clonshaugh, Dublin17 which will house the new NPU pipe-making training centre. We are currently in the process of fitting out the centre with the necessary equipment which will be finalised by mid November 2010. In late October we will be contacting everyone who has expressed an interest in the training programme in order to determine the skill levels of each person who has contacted us to date and the exact level of demand for training.

We are also pleased to advise that we will be launching an online digital pipemaking resource on the NPU website www.pipers.ie in the same timeframe which will include extensive video footage of expert pipemakers demonstrating key aspects of their craft - hundreds of clips and tens of hours in total.

Many thanks to all to have contacted NPU to date to register interest in the training."

brazenkane

Post by brazenkane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Great news, Bill!