Anyone looking for a myford s7?

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

bobble991

Anyone looking for a myford s7?

Post by bobble991 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Im considering selling my myford super seven metal lathe. I bought it a year ago and have cleaned it up and repainted it. Since I got it I have had no end of bad luck health wise and job wise. Its on a stand and is good to go. It would require a new chuck, I simply havent had a chance to get one, with one thing and another. Buyer would be best to collect, it weighs a flamin ton. If I can get a fair offer here great if not I'll slap it on ebay. Offers please by pm or email. It has at the moment a single phase motor on it, but I do have a 3 phase motor and bracket for it

Bob

LiamO'Flynn

Re: Anyone looking for a myford s7?

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Why are myfords so popular with pipemakers ?
Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

billh

Post by billh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:11 pm

LiamO'Flynn wrote:Why are myfords so popular with pipemakers ?
Liam
I reckon it may be because they are just the right size. Most lathes in their capability class are big heavy things, and other lathes in their size/weight range don't have the capacity or flexibility, or just aren't as well built. Despite being "dated" in terms of age or use of imperial scales, there are lots of parts still available for them, too, so they seem to hold their value well. Being belt-drive is a help, too, since many pipemakers turn square billets round on them - a gear-drive lathe doesn't like that kind of impact loading.

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:25 pm

They are a beautiful looking machine,all those knobs and levers would keep a man very happy.

Liam

dirk the piper

Post by dirk the piper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Liam,

In addition to the fact that's it's a really nice machine, I think it might be easier to tool-up. I'm sure other pipe-makers who have these machines will be willing to share with you exactly which tooling
extensions they have, or methods they have used, and you would be able to repeat what they did. It's going to take a bit more research and effort to build similar tooling for a different make of lathe.
Do others agree or not? Please discuss.

-Dirk
I'm a piper, you're a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper - wouldn't you like to be a piper too?

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 am

I have heard in the last few days that Mike De Smidt is looking for one of these, but as he is in California, I somehow doubt that he will be able to collect it from you in Scotland.

Worth asking, though.
Jonathan

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 pm

dirk the piper wrote:Hi Liam,

In addition to the fact that's it's a really nice machine, I think it might be easier to tool-up. I'm sure other pipe-makers who have these machines will be willing to share with you exactly which tooling
extensions they have, or methods they have used, and you would be able to repeat what they did. It's going to take a bit more research and effort to build similar tooling for a different make of lathe.
Do others agree or not? Please discuss.

-Dirk
I was having a look on e-bay for a bargain lathe,no luck but so many bits and pieces are advertised as suitable for Myford lathes

Laim

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 am

Myfords are the lathes of choice for most model engineers, as well as quite a few pipemakers. Given that there are so many out there it is no surprise that there is so much kit available for them. And if it isn't available off the shelf then you make your own. There are a number of sites, such as Hemingway Kits, that offer plans and castings for the home engineer to make anything from a simple rear toolpost to a full blown dividing head.

As to dedicated tooling for pipemakers, there isn't too much outlandish kit that bolts on to my Myford. I use a compound vertical slide for milling in the headstock, in the absence of a dedicated milling machine. A traditional hand turning rest comes in very useful, but a piece of round steel bar in a toolholder is just as good, and cheaper. A taper turning attachment is useful, but you can get away with an offset tailstock - I made an adjustable tailstock centre from the base of an ornamental turning eccentric chuck that someone had made for a Myford. You can make a curvilinear attachment for scale copying of mount profiles from an old cross-slide, some angle iron and a few bolts.

In fact, once you have your Myford then you can make pretty much everything else that you would ever need to bolt onto it :D

Getting hold of a Myford is not difficult; getting hold of one that has not been abused is a different matter. Ebay has quite a few up for grabs, but it is difficult to decide on the basis of a few photos just how good or bad the machine is. You would be far better off getting a lathe from someone you know, and can see how it performs, rather than buying blind at a distance. (Lathes are quite difficult to return to sender if they don't measure up). The same applies to second-hand spares; chucks for example, especially the 3 jaw variety, get a lot of bad treatment. If your jaws aren't true then neither is your turning.

In terms of desirability, the order of precedence for Myfords is:

ML7; ML7R ; Super 7; the Long Bed version of any of these lathes adds a lot of desirability (and cost) especially for a pipemaker, because you can easily get a Bflat chanter blank between centres. They are quite rare. The gearbox option is useful, but only for an engineering/screwcutting modelmaker. It adds unneccesary costs for a pipemaker but does ensure its' resale value.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 am

Just to add - it's perfectly feasible to use an ML8 with the compound slide attachment. Or even without it if you make reamers out of flat stock.

Not to say I advise it, but the ML8 is a lovely machine. It's all we've ever used.