Fun toy: strobe tuner simulator

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

danielhorn

Fun toy: strobe tuner simulator

Post by danielhorn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I recently did some research on strobe tuners and, after discovering that I couldn't afford to buy a proper physical one, decided to invent a software version.

It's here:
http://danjony.com/daniel/StrobeTuner.zip

Just unzip to a folder on your computer, plug in a microphone, and run StrobeTuner.exe. I wrote this for my own use, so it's not terribly pretty, and I've only tested it on my fairly beefy computer so I make no guarantees that it will work on yours. If it's too slow (watch the "Dropped Audio frames" value in the status bar at the bottom) you can possibly improve performance by tweaking some of the display options.

I used some fancy display tricks to simulate the optical illusion that makes physical strobe tuners do what they do. This is *not* just a strobe-like display of a standard frequency-dectection algorithm, this is an actual simulation of a moving image being illuminated by an audio-driven lamp. The "fancy display tricks" are required to overcome the fact that your monitor only refreshes about 60-75 times per second.

By default, the tuner starts in "auto-detect" mode, which tries to set the reference frequency at the note/octave nearest the one you're playing (equal-tempered by default, crucially also supports just temperment, just pick the root key from the dropdown). You can turn this off and set the note/octave yourself, or even enter the reference frequency directly.

Anyway, this works great for me... I've tested it to be incredibly accurate and precise (clearly shows <0.1Hz differences) using known-good tone-generators as input. The visual feedback makes a really neat practice aid for pipe and whistle playing. Thought some of you might be able to make use of it as well. Let me know what you think.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Fun toy: strobe tuner simulator

Post by the plod » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey now that's cool, I have looked at those Peterson strobe tuners on eBay but have never bought one - this is neat. :-)

Jeff

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:49 pm

I copied this over to the Reed/Pipemaking forum from the General forum and made it sticky so that it doesn't get lost. This is a very useful tool for the reed and pipemaker.

Jeff

macwarner57

Post by macwarner57 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I use a "real" Conn Strobo-tuner every day at work. This program gives it a run for it's money!

I only wish my (fairly well equipped) laptop could handle displaying the strobe at a higher frame rate.
J.G. Warner

"Understanding and making [uilleann] pipes isn't rocket science:- it's harder." -Driftwood

bobble991

Post by bobble991 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:51 am

OK Im a moron. How does one tell how close to the actual note you are? I mean to say how do I tell when the note is exactly on pitch and when it is off? Ive never used a strobe tuner before so am a little unclear.

Thanks
Bob