New reed

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

PJ

New reed

Post by PJ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 am

Well, it's taken almost all of my first batch of Arundo Donax but I've finally got a reed that plays in my chanter. The problem now is that the reed is flat - about 10 cents in the second octave and less in the first octave. I've untied the reed and pushed the staple further in (about 1/32") that improved the first octave but not the second octave. The reed is already sitting as low as possible in the chanter.

The staple is currently 2 1/8" (54 mm) long. I'm thinking of cutting a bit off the bottom of the staple - about 1/16". That'll bring my staple length to 2 1/16" (51mm) which is the length of the staple in the reed that Kevin Thompson originally put into my chanter.

Does this make sense?
PJ

snoogie

Post by snoogie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:10 pm

Yes, if the staple is too long then it makes sense to cut it off a bit...just be careful that you don't botch up the reed when you do it.

If you have the Haggarty manual, it talks about shortening the staple as well. -gary
There is no try, only do or not do - Yoda

PJ

Post by PJ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:07 pm

Done and done. In the end, it's virtually impossible to cut 1/16" with a hacksaw so I just filed it down. Took about 10 minutes. The first octave is now more or less fine. Back D is sharp. The second octave is all slightly flat. No problems reaching B' and C'.

It certainly does encourage me to stick at it.
PJ

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:19 pm

If you haven't got it already, get Pat Sky's manual on fixing reed problems, it is sage advice and sound knowledge. Usually, to sharpen a flat second octave, you want to cut off about a spider's leg width from the lips of the reed... that ought to bring the second octave up.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

PJ

Post by PJ » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:08 am

I've got Sky's manual. It's on permanent display in my workshop. I'll try trimming back the lips. I've done it with other reeds in the past.
PJ

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:01 am

stop. I wouldn't do anything else to it for a while.

If only your back D is sharp, great. Tape or wax the hole then play it for a week or two, see if it changes on its own after it's played in.

Don't scrape or trim a reed to perfection until it's been played in.

I've ruined a few that way.

Jeff