Is an 18" lathe sufficient for turning a concert chanter?

A forum to discuss the arcane art of making uilleann pipes, reeds, and set maintenance.

Moderators: the plod, dropkick

rgouette

Is an 18" lathe sufficient for turning a concert chanter?

Post by rgouette » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:23 am

That's about it.. the most basic of questions, which give you some idea of how new to turning I am..

Can I successfully use an [18" swing] lathe to make a concert pitched chanter?

part 2: Could I also utilise the open ended method of boring it, where I have a steady holding up the far end?

Regards,
Rich

ps. I should add that I have said 18" lathe, so I'm kind of asking the question in hindsight..
:O

rgouette

Re: Is an 18" lathe sufficient for turning a concert chanter?

Post by rgouette » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 am

this MAY be a moot question, as I've recently seen a bed extension available for my lathe...

wooff

Re: Is an 18" lathe sufficient for turning a concert chanter?

Post by wooff » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Regarding terminology ; an' 18" Swing ' is a huge lathe.... it means you can clear an 18" radius over the bed... so turn a maximum of 36" diameter..

I assume you mean that you have a lathe with a maximum between centres length of 18". This is sufficient for turning a D set. My 19" lathe is sufficient for making down to Bb pitch .

Some people like to use a fixed steady to support the piece whilst boring and perhaps it is safer , but with the billet firmly held in a decent chuck it is perfectly possible to bore with out one.