John Pederson Pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

JasperPiper

John Pederson Pipes

Post by JasperPiper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Does anyone here own a set of John Pederson's pipes? Can anyone post a sond or image sample. What is your opinion of them?

JasperPiper

Post by JasperPiper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:51 pm

For real? 135 views and no one knows of anyone who owns a set? I guess I could contact John and ask for the names of some satisfied customers.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:26 pm

Never heard of him, where is he?

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:36 pm

the plod wrote:Never heard of him, where is he?
San Francisco Bay area in California:

http://www.amazinggracemusicmarin.com/bagpipes.html

Justine had a Pedersen chanter for many years. Dunno if she still has it.
Jonathan

Bill
United States of America

Post by Bill » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:39 am

If I recall correctly, I believe that the early issues of The Pipers Review reported Pedersen's entry into the pipemaking arena. If so, he's been around for a while.
Bill

I_Fel

Post by I_Fel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:11 pm

I think it was a Tom Standeven practice set that Justine had and that John made work for her. John was the reed miester at the last SF tionol.

I_Fel

Post by I_Fel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:14 pm

HMM- Jasper, it seems that your Avatar has attached itself to me for what ever reasons. No 'fense. If you don't mind for the moment, that's cool.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:22 pm

that's just the default avatar Fel, it attaches to everyone until they change it.

Jeff

SeamusMcDermott

Re: John Pederson Pipes

Post by SeamusMcDermott » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 pm

I have a half set of Pedersen (<--Note the spelling, there is no "O" in Pedersen, this will help you find posts and aid internet searches) pipes and have had them since November.
I have been completely satisfied with both the quality and playability of the pipes. I added a Ginsberg chanter for awhile, but evenutally went back to the Pedersen chanter. I believe he is making single key chanters standard now and can add as many keys as you want. (The Ginsberg had five.) The sound of these pipes is dependent as with any set, on the tuning and fitting of the reed and the player's skill. I have had the good fortune to sit and make reeds with Mr. Pedersen, and the sound of my set is more than satisfactory. They actually make me think sometimes that I'm a better player than I really am. Well, one can dream, can't one?

I have seen crushed Pedersen pipes arrive at his shop (stepped on drones and so forth). Horrible. But he gets them turned around on his old engine lathe and sends them back to their owners sounding better than ever. This is not to say that i recommend crushing your pipes to improve the sound!
So the sevice is great, in my opinion. He also teaches, if you're lucky enough to live nearby. I think it would be great to get him online to do some downloadable lessons, as they do at Na Piobairi Uilleann. This can be very helpful, I've found.
When I started playing pipes, I could look out the window and see the neighbors putting "For Sale" signs on their houses. Today, I can look out the window and see the neighbors putting a "For Sale" sign on MY house!

KelsoHighlander

Re: John Pederson Pipes

Post by KelsoHighlander » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi, I have a set of Pedersen's pipes. Had them a decade, and love them to death.
Here's a vid of me playing them so you can hear sound quality... (same cane drone reeds for 10 years!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9pJDs0MCw