Let's keep it going

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

dropkick

Let's keep it going

Post by dropkick » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:41 am

Now that the C&F UP forum is back up, it has been speculated by a few that this forum will fade away. I, for one, would not like to see that happen. While I enjoy and consider the C&F forum a great place to post ideas and share info etc., I think it is great to have an alternative board to continue the ideas and info, in a more 'On Topic' atmosphere.

I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to straying from the topic or being just plain silly for no good reason ( :mrgreen: ), but I think we all could make a concerted effort to keep things relatively On Topic, without getting too rigid about it.

I am curious to read everybody's opinion regarding this.

... so whaddy'all think?

Let's keep this board going folks.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

Peter Laban

Post by Peter Laban » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:04 am

On topic would be nice but the atmosphere for this forum was pretty much set for me when just about the first serious question on this forum, concerning playing styles was met with:
Style? Style? I have enough problems getting from the beginning of a tune to the end and hitting all the notes in between. And now you suggest that it has to done with style as well.

That thoroughly put me off any further response to the thread. It could have been an interesting discussion but it wasn't to be.
:roll:

rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:22 am

Peter Laban wrote:On topic would be nice but the atmosphere for this forum was pretty much set for me when just about the first serious question on this forum, concerning playing styles was met with:
Style? Style? I have enough problems getting from the beginning of a tune to the end and hitting all the notes in between. And now you suggest that it has to done with style as well.

That thoroughly put me off any further response to the thread. It could have been an interesting discussion but it wasn't to be.
i like this site and hope it thrives but lets not take ourselves too seriously. i enjoy the funny side of people's personality.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:37 am

Peter Laban wrote:On topic would be nice but the atmosphere for this forum was pretty much set for me when just about the first serious question on this forum, concerning playing styles was met with:

All new things usually need a little 'tweaking' to get them working 'just so'. I wouldn't let one or two postings cloud your view regarding the rest of the forum just yet.

When this board got off the ground, folks were excited about it, and I totally expected the flood of exuberant babble and giddy commentaries. This place is barely (if even) a week old, so please reserve final opinions for a little while longer. We're working on it (Jeff courageously leading the way) as best we can with what time will allow for now.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:46 am

I'm sorry to hear that Peter, We really don't have much control over what people say and how it is interpreted. You could have chosen to ignore the comment and posted your opinions - many of us, myself included always read your posts and take what you say seriously as we know of your reputation in the piping community. :)

It's hard to predict how any post will be interpreted by everyone (except for the really over the top ones), we can moderate the posts as best we can and try to keep the focus, but there is a fine line between moderating and censoring.

You the user though can also help to keep things on track, by ignoring the chaff and continuing to post to the topics that you think have real value and the potential for great information.

We've never had a forum run by pipers for pipers, much less a forum where anyone really made an effort to stay on topic. I'm learning and trying to evolve this thing as I go.

I have changed things up around here over the past few days to hopefully keep things on topic and to keep the chatter going in the right direction (see the updated faq and rules).

I also started the "newbies" thread in order to hopefully keep those with little information to offer (yet) but lots of questions occupied for a while. Hopefully with a little more time and experience they can add to the breadth of knowledge here.

I am looking to add more functionality to the forum including a spell checker as well as a number of other enhancements for users lik a "favorite topics", "topics I've started", "draft replies", "search within a topic" and a few other things (learning php programming) - look for them in the future. But I'm not going to bother if no one posts and the forums just die.

Jeff

lorenzo

Post by lorenzo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:09 am

In a session, the better uilleann pipers will prevail and the newbies will learn and listen. But unfortunately, it's not like that on the internet.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:32 pm

Lorenzo wrote:In a session, the better uilleann pipers will prevail and the newbies will learn and listen. But unfortunately, it's not like that on the internet.
True enough, but I don't see any reasonable excuse why the contributors and the 'staff' (as it were) alike cannot make an effort to keep things on topic.

Like a lot of things, you can only get what you put into it. The more positive the input, the more this forum can develop into what we want it to be. If there isn't positive input, then what you have is a 'slag rag' if you will.

If we, instead of whining about content straying off topic, actually try and do something about it, I am certain this place can be exactly what we want it to be... and now I am waxing redundant. :mrgreen:

djm

Post by djm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:07 pm

I would like to suggest taking this a step further - that the "serious" pipers who want to discuss "serious" piping matters be the first to broach topics near and dear to their hearts, instead of being the last to chime in, or only responding in a reactionary way. If no-one responds, or if no-one understands what you're talking about, it would be incumbent upon you to then make your meaning more clear to us plebs.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:13 am

djm wrote:I would like to suggest taking this a step further - that the "serious" pipers who want to discuss "serious" piping matters be the first to broach topics near and dear to their hearts, instead of being the last to chime in, or only responding in a reactionary way. If no-one responds, or if no-one understands what you're talking about, it would be incumbent upon you to then make your meaning more clear to us plebs.

djm
Well put. This is what I feel would 'set the pace' for this forum.

Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:35 am

Sounds like you should make this a 'serious' piper's forum.

How about not letting anybody post who hasn't been playing at least 10 years, nobody with a sense of humour allowed, no left-hookers, nobody who likes Davy Spillane, no-one who listens to piping cd's that have guitar or synth on or who listens to (shudder) jazz, no-one who's ever thought about playing a synthetic reed/plastic chanter/concert D set or who learns the tune on a whistle first, no-one who adds their own grace notes to a tune rather than slavishly copying a scratchy Ennis wax cylinder, and all posters to this forum MUST be able to play 75% of O'Neills from memory.

Would that suit you better?

In fact, why not just keep it a secret and then you can just have it by invitation only, and anyone who posts anything you don't approve of can be dragged out into the street and shot.

Sounds just perfect.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.

Bill
United States of America

Post by Bill » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:29 am

Uh, uh ... what's a left-hooker? And let's not panic. This forum will find its natural equilibrium in due time.
Bill

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:09 am

Jay-eye wrote:
In fact, why not just keep it a secret and then you can just have it by invitation only, and anyone who posts anything you don't approve of can be dragged out into the street and shot.

Sounds just perfect.
Yes, yes, my Dream Forum!!! Where neandethal browed brutes lurk, ready to pound anyone into a bloody slush that hasn't the good sense to be overly serious on this board!!!

Seriously (before I meet the brute squad :mrgreen:), I am not suggesting we toss out the humor, I am suggesting we keep more to the topic of each thread... something that is hard to do elsewhere. Believe it or not, for some (not me) it is a pain in the ass to wade through a thread in search of a vital tidbit of information they desperately need, while having to scrool past phallic humor and potty jokes. If we can refrain from hijaking these threads it may serve us better.

I do not see any harm in the occasional jibe and giggle, but when said jibe and giggle make up 90% of a thread that had a serious beginning, and mutes the topic, then it ruins it for a lot of folks.

eric

Post by eric » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:04 am

> I do not see any harm in the occasional jibe and giggle, but when said jibe and giggle make up 90% of a thread

Thanks, Joe. "90% of a thread"... I've ditched replies I'd spent many hours on because once the thread took decided turns to the whimsical, I couldn't tell if the original posters were ever serious. Sometimes I have to wonder whether the time making thoughtful replies is well spent.

> How about not letting anybody post who hasn't...

Essentially all the items on your list have to do with the pipes or the music. They'd be a refreshing breeze on a forum about the pipes and the music.

> i enjoy the funny side of people's personality.

As do I.

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Dropkick wrote:
I do not see any harm in the occasional jibe and giggle, but when said jibe and giggle make up 90% of a thread that had a serious beginning, and mutes the topic, then it ruins it for a lot of folks.
How 'bout a third forum added to the current two specifically for non-pipe-related jibe and giggle?

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:13 pm

ausdag wrote:
Dropkick wrote:
How 'bout a third forum added to the current two specifically for non-pipe-related jibe and giggle?

Cheers,

DavidG

...rrrrrrrrrriiiiight...