Opinions on Kenneth McNicholl and Lorcan Dunne

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

ItalianUilleannPiper
Italy

Opinions on Kenneth McNicholl and Lorcan Dunne

Post by ItalianUilleannPiper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 am

Hi lads!
I'm Matteo, a beginner uilleann piper from Italy! Recently I've been thinking of adding drones to my existent D practice set and I've been pondering some options I have. I've come across second hand drones by Lorcan Dunne, and I would want to ask you some info and opinions about the maker, since online I couldn't find much about him. The other option someone suggested me is to go for a new set of drones by Kenneth McNicholl: again, I would want to ask your opinions about his works, since I do not know in person any piper that has played or encountered them. Feel free to suggest me other options too!
Thanks for your kindness and have a good (piping) day! :D

Matteo
After two years of piping, I can nonetheless understand why reeds are called the "Piper's Despair" :shock:

outofthebox8

Re: Opinions on Kenneth McNicholl and Lorcan Dunne

Post by outofthebox8 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:48 am

You can see and hear examples of Kenneth McNicholl's pipes on his website -
https://www.kmbagpipes.com/index.html. You can also see some other pipers playing his pipes on youtube.

ItalianUilleannPiper
Italy

Post by ItalianUilleannPiper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:52 am

Thanks for the quick answer :D but I was mainly asking for first hand opinions and impressions. I've seen the material on youtube and his site, thanks nonetheless!
After two years of piping, I can nonetheless understand why reeds are called the "Piper's Despair" :shock:

RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am

I have a Kenneth McNicholl chanter, and I love it. Quite responsive, and easy to get in tune.
Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with McNicholl drones.

ItalianUilleannPiper
Italy

Post by ItalianUilleannPiper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks a lot for your opinion, it's very useful to me!

Ravignan

Post by Ravignan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 am

Hi there,

I see that the question is a bit old, but maybe the answer can be useful anyway. I own a 3/4 in B made by Kenneth McNicholl in 2016. I can't say anything about concert pitch sets, but the pipes I have are more than satisfactory. The drones are well balanced with respect to the chanter and they never gave me any problems (they only cut off when pressure is excessive, which is normal, really). I heard from a chap I knew on YouTube who owns a set that is practically identical to my own and we are both happy with it. By the way, last time I checked I think there was a set of D drones for sale on Kenneth's website, so maybe you want to check it out. Good luck.

Ravignan

Post by Ravignan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:10 am

Update: I stand corrected, the set was sold. Anyway, I think Kenneth accepts orders these days, so you may as well get in contact with him.