Patrick Sky's "Budget" vs. David Daye Penny

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Hooleh

Patrick Sky's "Budget" vs. David Daye Penny

Post by Hooleh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Greetings all,

This is the first time I'm posting here, so apologies if this is a re-post or something. I'm also posting this same message on the Chiff and Fipple UIlleann-forum to see if I can get answers.

Anyways, the time is due I started learning this magnificent instrument and actually purchased a set of pipes of my own instead of always just dreaming about it. I have a backround with whistles, both regular and Low, and I've been familiarising myself with Uilleann Pipes a lot (as much as one can without actually owning a set of pipes), and I even managed to take a lesson in order to learn the basics. That took some work, I can tell you, since there are a total of five or so pipers in my country.

I'm a student, so this is a big financial investment for me, as I'm as tight on money as you can imagine a student to be, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to either buying a used set of pipes, or a new but more affordable one. So far I figure that, even though there are some reasonable offers in used sets, it pays off to have a new set made in order to get support in case something's wrong, doesn't it? Especially in a location such as mine where pipers are as scarce as they are.

So by browsing through the web for some time I've read about Patrick Sky, who makes the so-called Budget sets with a slightly more affordable price than most, and David Daye and his less-expensive Penny Chanters. Do you have any first-hand knowledge of the makers in question, and can you recommend their pipes? Can you tell me how they're like as compared with each other? Which one would be the way to go? I've come to understand that they're decent instruments regardless of their lower price, am I right? What about when hopefully sooner than later I'm ready for a bigger set, do people in general buy these pipes used? As in, do I have any chance of getting that set of pipes sold and some of my money back?

Moreover, what is your opinion on 'skipping' the practice set and going straight for a half set? It's more expensive, I know, but I guess it would save trouble when it's time to update the pipes to a bigger set. I'm quite confident that this won't be one of those "try it for a week and leave it in the corner to gather dust"-kind of decisions made on a whim, so the case is that I intend to really start playing. I know you can always turn off the drones, but are they much more difficult maintenance for a beginner?
Also, if you have any pipe makers you recommend that I should consider, I'm open for suggestions!

Sorry for the insane amount of rather vague "questions" and a long post. I'm really thankful for any input you fellows can give. If someone bothers to read, better yet answer, thanks a bunch!

In summation: Which is better, Patrick Sky's 'budget' or David Daye's Penny chanter?

-J-P

outofthebox8

Re: Patrick Sky's "Budget" vs. David Daye Penny

Post by outofthebox8 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 am

My advice for what it is worth would be to start off with just, bag, bellows and chanter. This is more than enough for a beginner to get to grips with. Never underestimate the complexities of this instrument 8). Baby steps is the best way to proceed - and if you stick at it long enough to get your bag and bellows working together, then you will be on your way. Good luck!

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 am

There is a lot to be said for getting a half set when starting off. You can shut down the drones for the first couple of months. But I believe it is good to learn early on to maintain a steady pressure and constant airflow and the drones will help you achieve that. I have seen quite a few learners who had tremendous problem making the transition from practice set to half set because they got into habits that came from having only a bag and chanter (that let them get away with it).

There is a steep learning curve during the first few months, getting the coordination between bag and bellows, maintaining an even pressure with the bag arm and playing at the same time. It's important to get that right as son as you can. But once that is done, and providing you have a good working set of pipes, the pipes are no more difficult or complex to learn that any other instrument.
My brain hurts

Hooleh

Post by Hooleh » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for your answers. I actually had more success on the Chiff&Fipple Uilleann forum as to answers.

I will probably get a half-set. Primarily because I'm from a remote area with very few pipers and no pipe makers so I'll save the future trouble of transitioning from a practice set to the ½set. Secondly because of the above mentioned learning aspect what comes to the steady air pressure.

Still searching for the most suitable maker for myself.